Join us for our Solar Eclipse Campout at Dreher Island State Park, where we’ll gather to camp, enjoy social and (hopefully!) educational activities together, and watch an extremely rare and beautiful total solar eclipse!
When: August 19-22, 2017
Where: Dreher Island State Park, SC
Registration Deadline: June 30, 2017
(This event is open to non-members, but members have registration priority. Non-members will be added if space is available.)
We’ll begin our campout on Saturday, August 19 (check-in is 2:00 pm or later). Our campsites are reserved until noon on Tuesday, August 22, so you can leave after the eclipse, or enjoy a day of fellowship afterwards.
We’re working on educational programs during the event to prepare students for the eclipse on Monday. We’re still in the early stages, however, and can’t guarantee educational programming. Please register only if you’ll be happy with whatever we end up with (even if it’s only camping, cookouts, campfires, and s’mores!). I’ll update as programs and activities are confirmed.
More Information and FAQs
I’ve seen an eclipse before. What’s the big deal about this one?
You’ve probably never seen a total solar eclipse. Here’s why.
I’ll just watch it from my house.
Make sure your house is in the path of totality.
I’ll stay at a hotel.
Start looking for a room now. Many (most?) hotels in the “path of totality” have been sold out for months already in anticipation of this event.
Why are you doing this at a campground?
- Campgrounds tend to have low light pollution, so we’ll have a better chance of seeing the eclipse in all its glory.
- Dreher Island State Park is in the path of totality. Read this to find out why that’s important.
- Camping is fun – this would be a perfect time to try it!
Can I join in the activities and not camp?
Camping families will have registration priority. If we have space available, you can pay the program fee and join us on Sunday for our educational programs and activities, and on Monday for the eclipse.
Cost and Refund Policy
The cost to rent a campsite is $75 total per site for Saturday (2:00 pm) through Tuesday (noon). Each site can hold 6 people (or one family unit), and a have a maximum of one trailer/RV and one tent, or two tents. Sites have water and electricity, but no sewer. The park entrance fee is waived for campers.
NOTE: The camping fee is non-refundable unless I have a family to replace yours. A $25 cancellation fee will be deducted from any refunds, and no refunds will be made after June 30.
The program/activity fee will be separate, and will depend on what our educational and social activity costs are. We anticipate it will be no more than $25 per person, and probably less if we have a good crowd attending. We’ll update as soon as programs are finalized.
NOTE: This fee is not refundable for any reason.
No replacements, roster changes, or refunds will be made after June 30, 2017. Your signed registration form and waiver acknowledges your understanding and agreement with my cancellation and refund policy.
- Registrations from members will be processed first.
- Registrations from non-member camping families will be waitlisted and confirmed on a space-available basis.
- Once I confirm your spots, the total camping fee will be due within 7 days of my confirmation.
- Registrations from non-camping families will be waitlisted until program/activity fees are finalized.
We have 80 sites available (65 camper, 15 tent – in Camping Area B at Dreher Island State Park – see this map and this map.). You may choose your own site, but please leave the larger sites for families with larger campers/RVs.
Here’s a website that has pictures and descriptions of each site, and here’s specific information at the Dreher Island State Park website about each site (length, hookups, etc.) – please check those sites before you register and request specific campsites.
You’ll rent your site through me, and won’t be able to cancel or get a refund through the campground.
Want to go?
- At this time, I’m confirming registrations for camping families only. Registrations from other families will be waitlisted until program and activity fees are finalized.
- To register, click here.
- If you don’t receive a confirmation with payment information within 3 days, please email me.
- Payment will be due within 7 days of receiving my email.
- I’ll email you when I receive your payment, and send you periodic updates.
- And that’s it! Email me if you have any questions.