7 replies to this topic

#1 Cristin Golden

Cristin Golden

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

Hi,
I am SO interested in Traditional homeschooling, mainly because the Cyber school is too time consuming and intense..GREaT curriculum, but no flexibility...if only I could find a mix!! the 2 older ones in cyber and me teaching them and 2 other little ones at home...leaves mommy exhausted!!
I like the daily list of what is expected/schedule that day for school for my 2 oldest...but I need the flexibility if the day is so busy it doesn't get done....does anyone know of a "mix" of computer based curriculum and homeschool flexibility?
Also, my daughter has a learning disability in reading...can the local school district help if she is homeschooled?
So many questions and I do not know where to go for answers :) I know I am not alone...that is why I am posting this here.
Thanks!
Cristin

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

Cristin, do you want something that is "school in a box" where everything is from the same publisher? Or would you like to choose materials from different publishers, based on your children's interests, ability level, etc? School-in-a-box may be easier for you coming out of virtual schooling, but piecing together allows more flexibility.

Also, tell us the ages of your children so we can make better recommendations, as well as whether you want a religiously-based curriculum, or secular, or whatever.

Warmly,
Dianna

#3 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

Regarding help with reading, if you're homeschooling, most states/schools wouldn't feel obligated to provide services to help with that. I know they're required by law to provide some services to children with needs, but it's been a while since I've researched that, so I'm not familiar with the laws. Hopefully someone else can help.

Dianna

#4 Cristin Golden

Cristin Golden

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

Hi,
I am open to any suggestions and any curriculums...more knowledge is power!
My children are 11(5th grade), 8(2nd), 5 yo and 2 yo. :)
One child had ADHD and one has learning disability in Reading.
I KNOW I need a "set" schedule ..I need structure because I'm overwhelmed :) but it must have some flexibility.
Does this help?

#5 annyox

annyox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

Well, I'm about to start homeschooling again with my youngest. I just feel I need to for some reason. But I thought I should answer this because my son has a learning disability in reading also. He's also ADHD. As for services, the district (at least in South Carolina where I am) is required to provide services for free. But I believe the caviat here is that the child must have an IEP, which is difficult to get unless they start in public school. I briefly home schooled my son in kindergarten, before his problems were diagnosed. And I used a virtual charter school. It was WAY too overwhelming, and he wasn't progressing because of his handicaps. But the local school where he had been attending did provide him with speech therapy while he was homeschooled. I went to the school with him twice a week for that. But, like I said, he had an established IEP. I don't even know how you would get one without the child being in the school system. Although, the charter schools are usually public. Does your child have an IEP?

#6 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:35 PM

Cristin,

If you like the set-up of the virtual charter schools, you could always do something like it, but independently - like Calvert School or K12. You'd have to purchase it yourself, but you'd have a built-in schedule, teacher's guide, etc. You could deviate from the curriculum as needed, and still have flexiblity. Oak Meadow is also a school, but less rigid, I think: http://www.oakmeadow.com/

Some other packaged curriculum that may be a good bridge between virtual charter schooling and more relaxed homeschooling is Sonlight (http://www.sonlight.com/) or Switched-On Schoolhouse (http://www.aophomesc...choolhouse.html). They're both Christian-based, though (not sure if you want that or not).

Those are a few ideas to get you started. I'm more relaxed (you can read a little of my style in this post: http://www.carolinah...will-this-work/) so if you ever get to that point, I can help you ease that way.

As far as your child with ADHD, I'd choose as few textbook materials as possible, and more out-of-seat, hands-on materials. For your child that reads differently (to me they're not disabilities, just differences that aren't often met by a lot of available resources), I would suggest reading aloud as much material as possible, as well as books on CD or MP3 downloads (available from your library). And, time. That's the most important thing. I've seen children with reading differences really shine later, and forcing them to read too early did nothing but make them hate books and hate learning. (And make them feel "less than.") I'd strongly recommend focusing on their strengths, and as they get older, their brains will learn how to compensate for the differences they experience in reading, writing, etc.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Warmly,

Dianna

#7 Guyader

Guyader

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

Hi!  I use to have my daughter enrolled in the South Carolina Virtual Charter School....(for kindergarten...)  I absolutely LOVED the curriculum and how "Mommy Friendly" it is....  But I had the worst experience with the Administration side and having her placed accordingly and such.  Plus they added so much "busy" work to the schedule.  ~~~ We left the charter school... But I now purchase the complete curriculum for our home use.  It is pricey.... But they do offer deals depending on what time of the month you order, and also discounts for siblings....  ~~~~ The Virtual School gave me the CONFIDENCE to homeschool.... and the material that is used is excellent..... When you change to homeschooling part with their curriculum - you order the private school curriculum.... and there is a bit of a difference.  And I LOVE the difference.  My daughter is now a second grader with third and fourth grade curriculum through a Virtual Curriculum.... And that's how we got our Freedom back.... Feel free to email me if you'd like....   daniellejg.guyader82@gmail.com

#8 BillieJo Youmans

BillieJo Youmans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

Cristin, I've homeschooled our kids since pre-K--and the oldest will graduate this year. I've used a variety of curriculums over the years and would be glad to answer questions any time. I do not have a lot of my younger years curriculum any more--we moved from NY to SC last year. I also am not great with knowing SC laws. Non-virtual schooling, non-box curriculum schooling--those things I am delighted to answer. In the early years I love Core Knowledge Foundation books (What Your X Graders Needs to Know)...they have a scope and sequence book as well. My one 'wish' I had understood in the early years relates to sticking with an English/Math curriculum. I changed a couple times thinking I'd find a better match for the kids...it turned out okay but the switching created some challenges in the 7th-8th grade years with the oldest. I always tell him I practiced on him and am doing better with his sister. :0

I loved Unit Studies which are great for more than one student. Charlotte Mason had the philosophy that excited my heart--literature that told 'real stories.' I have used schedules throughout...gradually taught the kids to keep their own schedule and monitor progress. Feel free to email billiejoyoumans@gmail.com. Enjoy the journey!