lmccarthy2

Looking for Charleston field trip recommendation

5 posts in this topic

My name is Lisa. I homeschool my 10 year old son. We live in NC. We are studying the civil war and will be visiting Charleston for a battle reenactment next week. Fort Sumter and the HL Hunley are also on our list.

While in Charleston, I would like to visit a plantation so that we can contrast life in the South vs life in the North. I would especially like to visit a plantation with slave cabins. I have looked at Boone Hall and Magnolia online.  Because this is a weekend trip, we will only be able to visit 1 plantation.  Having never visited Charleston myself, I would love to hear a recommendation from someone who has visited or lives in the area. 

I would also like to spend part of the day exploring a swamp. Would you recommend Cypress Gardens or the swamp at Magnolia Plantation or something else?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Lisa

Hi Lisa, I've asked Charleston-area homeschoolers if they'd come by to help with your trip. I bet you'll have a great time! :)

Warmly,

Dianna

Boone Hall is a good choice.   On the swamp.... Francis Beidler Forest  is located in Dorchester County about 10 miles off I-26.   If you would like to visit this forest I have 2 passes you can have.  My mom works there part time and my daughter won 2 passes in a Bingo game.  We don't need them.  Let me know and I can mail them to you.   http://beidlerforest.audubon.org/   

We are going to Santee, SC this weekend and will plan a day trip to Charleston to visit Boone Hall Plantation. In the summer we will be there with friends and are planning to visit Patriot's Point, the naval museum there. I do not know of many other places to visit other than the beaches . . . which are fabulous and will go well with a marine life unit study  ;) .