4 replies to this topic

#1 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,421 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

In the high school chapter of my homeschooling guide, I caution parents (and students) not to think of one post-high school path as “less than” another. Society often looks at college as “better,” but it may not be better for your student. Read about one student’s post high-school journey here: http://www.carolinah...m/alinks10.html.

Warmly,
Dianna

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,421 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:01 PM

If anyone has any questions about post-high school plans, or wants to share their own experiences of their student's journey after high school, please feel free to post in this thread. 

Dianna

#3 karrypj

karrypj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:39 PM

I agree that college is not the only choice after high school. It was most definitely my son's choice. However it doesn't look to be the path my daughter hopes to take. She is currently in 10th grade. I have begun to think about how to prepare her for life after high school. Currently she is trying to get a part time job. I think it will be very important for her to develop a resume and gain work experience while she is in high school. I also hope to be able to give her some type of aptitude test and the opportunity to shadow people in different jobs that might interest her,

• Dianna and MathMom like this

#4 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,421 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:32 PM

It sounds like you're on the right track. Apprenticeships are a great way to earn credits for her transcript, and experience in the different fields she's interested in. So many high school graduates don't know what they really want to do after high school. Having a chance to sample different careers will help with that. And who knows... if a job she enjoys requires a degree, she may decide to go to college after all, or start her own business. If she can't find paid jobs, encourage her to try positions where she'll gain experience and knowledge instead.

Warmly,

Dianna

#5 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,421 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:35 PM

Also, welcome to our community karrypj! :)

Dianna

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: high school