5 replies to this topic

#1 tinalouise14

tinalouise14

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC 28216

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

I live in NC (charlotte 28216). I have 3 sons (14,13,7). I have only lived in this state for 20 months and just started Homeschooling my 13yr old (who has Aspergers) 3 weeks ago. My other two sons are currently still in the public schools (oldest in 9th, youngest in 2nd). My 13yr old has had problems with the school system since we came here (he was an honor roll student, no discipline record until we came here. The school did not follow IEP/BIPs, put him in the ISS room 3-5 times a week, suspended him out of school 3-6 times a month....) soooo.... I found it best for him to just be pulled out of that environment. I am new to this homeschooling and have so far read 4 books on the topic. So far we are kind of just going with the flow, I do all the basic subjects with him (math, English, history,science...) no bought curriculum, just full use of the public library :) Even though it's only been 3 weeks I can see a big change in my son. He is back to laughing and smiling :)  

I look forward to meeting other homeschoolers and Im hoping to learn from you and maybe find support, friendship, activities :)

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,730 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

Hi, and welcome to our community! :)

It sounds like homeschooling is going great for you. Are you in south Charlotte? We're planning a meet-up for this Friday in Rock Hill, SC, and you're welcome to join us if it's not too far for you to drive.

Warmly,
Dianna

#3 tinalouise14

tinalouise14

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

Ive only lived in this state for 20 months, so Im not real sure where most places are yet. I live in 28216 area code of Charlotte (kids go to public school in Huntersville).  Where is the meeting?

Hi, and welcome to our community! :)

It sounds like homeschooling is going great for you. Are you in south Charlotte? We're planning a meet-up for this Friday in Rock Hill, SC, and you're welcome to join us if it's not too far for you to drive.

Warmly,
Dianna

#4 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,730 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

If my mapping software is right, and interstate 77 isn't congested, it would take you about 30 minutes to get to Rock Hill. If you're interested in joining us, email me at director@carolinahomeschooler.com and I'll email the details.

Warmly,
Dianna

#5 KatJ

KatJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

Tina, how are things going now? It's great to hear your son is smiling again.

Kathryn

#6 tinalouise14

tinalouise14

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:50 AM

Tina, how are things going now? It's great to hear your son is smiling again.

Kathryn

things are going pretty good. last week we did CAT5. We wanted to get that out of the way.