• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rachel Wallace

Rachel Wallace

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

Can anyone give me the name of a good SAT preparation book or website I can use to prepare my child for taking the SAT? Also, should my child take both the SAT and the ACT or is just one sufficient? Please give me any thoughts and if you know the difference between the two, please let me know. Thanks.

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,644 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

Rachel, I used Barron's and the College Board's Guide to the SAT. Barron's does a better job of reviewing the material on the test, but the College Board's guide is best for test practice because they're actual SATs.

Some students do best on one test or the other, but it's not necessary to take both. The ACT is an achievement test, while the SAT is more of an aptitude test. The SAT offers more test dates in our area, so that may influence your decision on which test to take. However, if your student doesn't do well on the practice tests for the SAT, get one of the prep books for the ACT and see if he/she does better on that one.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions about SAT, or preparation for college, or scholarships, or anything like that.

Warmly,
Dianna

#3 Laura Launius

Laura Launius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

We've used the College Board and Barrons also.  Recently I pruchased the Kaplan SAT prep book -- it comes w/ additional on-line material and a DVD.  DD used it and felt that it really offered her great info and hints for taking the SAT.  For the ACT she likes the study cards -- I can't recall who publishes them, but they are in a blue box and we ordered them from Amazon.

I have my dc take both tests bec while similar they have different focuses and I've found that sometimes they score better on one format than another.  Also, look at which test the colleges your dc is interested in attending require.  While most will take either -- some have a preference.  I have my dc take the ACT in 8th through Duke Tip -- then the PSAT in 9th-11th; the SAT and ACT again late in the  11th and early in 12th.  I's w/ an accountability group that requires yearly testing so using the above schedule fulfills my yearly requirement while giving my dc practice.

#4 ElishaJose

ElishaJose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:15 AM

You can let your child give both the exams as it will open more opportunities. You can take the help from some online tutoring services which provides full guidance and support to crack SAT and ACT.