Heather Lamb

Starting Kindergarten this year..need advice!

Heather Lamb

Hello I am new to South Carolina and i am going to be homeschooling my children. My son turned 5 in December so will be starting kindergarten this year. I have a few questions i need straight answers to. (i have read alot of different information and I am very confused) 

1. Do I have to let the school district know I will be homeschooling?

2. Is there any forms for the state i need to submit besides signing up for an accountability group? 

3. Can I start anytime for the school year, as long as I have 180 days present in homeschool? 

Thank you so much in advance for helping. Things are so different in this state and I don't know too many homeschooling families. 

--Heather--

Dianna

Hi Heather,

Welcome to SC and to homeschooling! :)

If you register with a homeschool association, you don't need to contact the school district. If you sign a kindergarten waiver at your local school district, then you'll have contact with them. Here's a link to our homeschool law with info about the kindergarten waiver: http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/homeschool-faqs/sc-homeschool-law/

If you register with a homeschool association, there are no forms to submit to the state (and no contact with them).

I recommend you register with an association by the time school starts in your area. You have to be "counted" somewhere, and if you're not, you're considered truant.

You can start at any time (but register before school starts in your area). My philosophy is we learn 365 days a year - you're just required to document 180 of those days.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Here's a link to my main FAQ page, too: http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/homeschool-faqs/

Warmly,
Dianna

kohlby

Since your child will be legal kindergarten age, you have more options than you would for a child legal first grade age and up as mentioned above.

For my kids, we went to the local school and signed a waiver basically saying the school wasn't responsible and we were opting out of kindergarten that year.  It's not just for homeschoolers - it's also for parents not wanting to do kindergarten or redshirting their children.  By signing the waiver, I didn't have to keep any records at all.  The next year, at legal first grade age, I officially signed up as a homeschooler with an option 3 group.  So, I didn't have to do a thing at the school that year.

Some people prefer to go the official homeschooling route - they don't want the school district to know their child exists.  All three of my kids have done speech therapy through the local school so I wasn't concerned about it.  (Also, the chance of the school knowing your child existing being an issue is small - but it's still a valid concern some parents have).

I prefer the waiver because it meant I didn't have to keep any records at all.  My style for kindergarten is fully unschooling so this made it a lot easier.  Even if I had homeschooled in a more traditional manner, it would have been nice to not feel like I needed so many days or had to keep records.

As far as the 180 days and when to start, sign up with the accountability group first presuming you're taking that route.  When I was a member of PIE, it made sense to start my school year on or after July 1st.  When I switched to Carolina Homeschooler, starting my year on or after June 1st made more sense.

Granda G. Myers Joplin

My daughter is in Kindergarten this year in a public school, but I plan to homeschool her for first grade.  Do I need to give the school a copy of the membership letter after I sign up and let them know she won't be returning next year? 

Thanks!

Dianna

My daughter is in Kindergarten this year in a public school, but I plan to homeschool her for first grade.  Do I need to give the school a copy of the membership letter after I sign up and let them know she won't be returning next year? 

Thanks!

Granda, as long as you don't register her for 1st grade whenever registration is, then you don't have to officially withdraw her from school. They may call at the beginning of the year to ask where she is. If they do, just tell them you're homeschooling. If they ask for proof, mail them a copy of your membership letter (keep the original).

Warmly,

Dianna

• Like 1

Dianna

Thanks Dianna.

You're welcome. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Warmly,

Dianna