Julie Johnson

Handling Family Member Questions/ Comments

Julie Johnson

Does anyone have any ideas on handling family members who do not understand or support home schooling? We have a family member who has plenty of opinions about things and is not afraid to share them. She tells my 7 year old 3rd grader quite often she wishes I would let them go to public school. This has happened often enough that my daughter now believes that home school is not real "school". 

What would you have your child say to this person? What would you say?

Any opinions are welcome.

Dianna

Hi Julie,

This is a common problem for homeschool families. Here's a way to handle that: http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/homeschool-faqs/problems-and-issues/

Also, register for one of my field trips and invite them along. Once they interact with families with children who've homeschooled a while, they often realize how beneficial homeschooling really is.

Let me know if my strategies don't work, and post again if you need to vent.

Warmly,

Dianna

Julie Johnson

Thank you so much Dianna. I have read this before and will read it again. It is very frustrating to deal with.

Dianna

Julie, have you talked to this person about it? If you have, and they refuse to stop, seriously consider limiting your daughter's interactions with this person, and consider allowing no unsupervised interactions with them.

Warmly,

Dianna

• Like 1