3 replies to this topic

#1 squirrellyec

squirrellyec

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

Hey guys,

I'm hoping for some info.  I'm really struggling about the decision of where to put my daughter next year.  She is 8 and will be moving into 4th grade.  I homeschooled during the prek years and then Used Calvert academy kindergarten and half way through 1st grade.  Life got in the way and I was forced to put her in public school the second half of first grade and then through 2nd.  She did okay adjusting to public school, but was very unhappy with lack of communication and curriculum.  She actually regressed in many of her subjects.  She asked to come home for 3rd grade.  I decided to use K12, because it offers extracurricular options as well.  Third grade was a real slap in the face.  It was a much bigger work load than we expected and although the school stressed that the kids can go at their own pace it wasn't true.  The entire year we have felt pressured to keep up our "progress".  Report cards are even graded according to progress.  Even though she was completing assignments perfectly she showed failing grades because we were behind on our assignments.  Even now I'm receiving notes from her teacher that she needs to complete a certain amount of assignments in order to be prepared for the PASS test in a week.  The PASS test doesn't mean didly squat to me.  I want to make sure my daughter understands the material being taught, not regurgitating standard answer sheets.  I currently work part time, attend online college, may be picking up another part time job by the end of the year and have a 4 year old at home.  I have already started school with him, but I've been so focused on trying to keep up and catch up with my 8 year old that I feel as though I have neglected him this year. 

My options are to put her in a sub standard public school, to go back to Calvert or to take the plunge into homeschooling.  My job/jobs are just a few hours a week and quite flexible, so not a big hinderance.  The big issues are that I literally have no time for anything else with the work load that we've experienced.  Is this common for this grade?  Is this because of the k12 curriculum?  I have to think of my son as well.  He won't be old enough to attend public school and he has a speech issues so requires extra attention in order to get him to speak correctly and clearly.  I'm really struggling with what to do next year.  I could really use some more info, before my husband thinks I'm crazy and I spend another year pulling my hair out. 

Thanks!!

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,421 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

Homeschooling is much more flexible and adaptable than virtual schooling, so if VS isn't working for you, I would definitely try homeschooling before you re-enroll your daughter in public school.

With homeschooling, you can focus on understanding the material you choose for her, not on whatever is needed to pass a test you don't even care about. If you haven't had a chance to read through my FAQs yet (http://www.carolinah...r.com/afaq.html), I would recommend reading through them to get a better sense of how homeschooling differs from virtual schooling. Then please feel free to ask any other questions you have. I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

Warmly,

Dianna

#3 squirrellyec

squirrellyec

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

Thanks Dianna,

The information was very informative.  I'm sorry I gave quite a bit of details.  I'll try to be more specific in my questions. 

1-is it the course load of 3rd grade, pressure from k12 or me over my head that has created so much stress this year?  Have others felt overwhelmed moving into 3rd grade or using a virtual school?  I don't want to feel this way again next year.  Do most home schoolers spend 5+ hours a day doing course work?

2-how difficult is it to juggle multiple children?

3-cost of course is an issue.  Are their economical options that still allow for a wide selection in materials?

I have to present a case to my husband that I have not gone nuts after he watched me stress this year. 

I really appreciate y'all taking the time to respond.

Thanks!!

#4 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,421 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:53 PM

You didn't give too many details, and I'm happy to help you sort through your questions. It sounds like the course load and K12 policies, as well as their emphasis on testing, created so much stress for you this year.

I did a survey recently and received some great feedback from many virtual schoolers. What you're feeling is common. Although the virtual schools stress that students can following their own pace and interests, most virtual schoolers who answered my survey haven't found that to be the case.

Five hours of work per day for a 3rd-grader is excessive, in my opinion. Homeschooling takes less time because there is less busy-work, and it's one-on-one. Once they get the concept, you can move on.

Homeschooling multiple children isn't as time-consuming with homeschooling because you can combine subjects - especially in the areas of science and social studies.

Regarding cost - homeschooling can be absolutely free. All you need is a library card and access to educational television, and other free materials. Or you can purchase curriculum (secondhand materials can save you money). It depends on whether or not you want school-in-a-box, or to choose materials for each subject area (reading, writing, math, science, social studies). I use a very non-textbook approach to learning, so my cost each year is low. Others spend more, others less. It just depends.

I really think reading through my FAQs would help you get a better understanding of homeschooling, and also help you to present your case to your husband. (There's even a question/answer there about husbands...)

I hope this has helped. Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

Warmly,

Dianna

• eetaylor74 likes this