Jacki Reynolds

Homeschooling and shared custody

Jacki Reynolds

I'm just curious if anyone else has had a shared custody (week to week) and also homeschooled? What did you use and how did you make it work? The boys are 9th and 10th grade currently.  Their dad and I parallel parent rather than co-parent. If we were able to get along we would not have gotten divorced. Also anything that can go wrong can and will happen, ie., if we decide to share resources he invariably will keep them forcing me to buy a second set of everything. Its gotten to the point I document my 90 days and he is responsible for his 90. This is the short story version  but was just hoping to see what others may have done in tough situations like this. Thanks!

Dianna

Hi Jacki,

I hope others with experience in this situation can offer advice and suggestions.

If the boys are responsible and willing, maybe they could take the bulk of the documenting off of both of you. They could each keep a daily journal, logging their attendance and noting what they do each day. Then you can look over it at the end of each week or so to make sure the record-keeping is on track.

Ask them to bring papers (or whatever) they do at their father's home with them so you can take some of it for their portfolio. If that's not possible, just use samples from your half for their portfolio.

Instead of sharing resources, can he be responsible for some subjects, and you others? This would result in a type of block scheduling, in a way, and can reduce friction (hopefully). But then you'd have to make sure he provides samples for their portfolios.

I'm sorry you're going through this and that it's impacting your homeschooling.

Warmly,
Dianna