Maria B

Math curriculum Dreambox versus Teaching Textbooks

Maria B

I'm looking at either using Dreambox or Teaching textbooks for my 8 year-old and 6 year-old this year, and I'm interested if anyone has any specific experience with them.  Here's the background:  My boys have been doing Horizons math.  Its been working fine.  They're keeping up, they understand, they just don't always like it.  I've got my 3rd child starting kindergarten and he has some special needs which will require more of my time, so I'm looking at computer curriculum for math for my older two, to give me a bit more time.  I actually bought used Teaching Textbooks (TT) at a grade level up (which is about where they tested on the placement test for TT), but then I had a friend recommend Dreambox online.  We all tried it today.  The graphics and "games" on dreambox seem a lot more interesting.  The kids wanted to keep "playing."  And I like that the dashboard shows me each child and gives me a range of their proficiency by grade level.  But, I've not heard of many homeschoolers using it, and its all public school/CC aligned.  I'm not sure it'll be sufficient as a stand alone curriculum. 

Cyndi Jordan McCown

I have read several homeschool mom reviews on dreambox and they say it is a supplement and that is what they use it for.

mbyrne72

We use teaching textbooks and totally love them.  We did a year of Dreambox about 3 years ago maybe. There obviously may have been some changes since then, but at the time, it did not seem rigorous enough to me for a stand alone curriculum.  My kids spent most of the time playing with the non-math things - making avatars etc.  I wanted an interactive math curriculum so I could supervise peripherally and TT works great for that. 

Tracy Dunbar

We have used Teaching Textbooks for 7th, 8th, and 9th grade.  My son seems to like them.

I also the following Teaching Textbooks for sale:  Math 7 for $120 and Algebra 1 for $150.  I live in Fort Lawn, SC.  If you are interested feel free to contact me at (803) 493-4613.

Maria B

So update:  We are doing both.  Dreambox is very visual and teaches concepts but not equations and mechanics.  It has been excellent for my visual kids.  But we are doing teaching textbooks too.  Its more traditional and I figure this way we are covering all the bases.  I have them alternate Dreambox and TT.  Since we go year-round we should still be getting it all in.  Thanks for the input!

• Like 1