5 replies to this topic

#1 Aunt Stepody

Aunt Stepody

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

Good morning!

First let me say...I am so excited to have found you via the Homeschool thread on the DIS Discussion Boards. :)

Since I am new here... let me introduce myself. I have been homeschooling my boys for 6 years now, and we absolutley love it. However, I am not certain how I want to handle the situation with my soon-to-be 9th grader. As of now, we use various curriculum to meet our educational needs: including Saxon, Veritas Press, Shurley Grammar, etc. I am considering Keystone on-line next year primarily because I would like to be able to provide an official transcript for college admission. My other reason for considering this is because I do have other obligations with work and church. (I work outside the home 2 nights a week 7p-7a.)

I would love to hear any suggestions or advice you might have.

Thank you.

P.S. We are also interested in your homeschool trip to WDW in November. Hope we can join you. :)

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,160 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

Hi, and welcome to our community! :)

I'm glad you found us and hope you can join us at Disney in November. We have a Disney Stalkers forum (scroll down the forum list) if you're interested in chatting with others in our group who are going to Disney.

Regarding your transcript and Keystone. Do you live in SC? Knowing that will help me in answering your questions.

Warmly,
Dianna

#3 Aunt Stepody

Aunt Stepody

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

Thank you for the Disney info.

No, we're in Texas.

#4 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,160 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

Unless things have changed, Texas homeschool laws are very flexible. Most parents in states where homeschooling isn't so regulated are able to create transcripts for their students without a problem. Most colleges accept homeschool diplomas now without a problem. Have you asked your local support group or state organization how they recommend doing this?

If you feel an outside instructor/curriculum/program is the best thing for your student (for whatever reason), then Keystone, or K12, or another correspondence program is certainly an option. Or you could go with a school-in-a-box curriculum such as Switched-On Schoolhouse or something with a teacher advisory service (if you want him to be accountable to someone else).

If your primary concern is an "official" diploma, though, I'd recommend that you investigate how other college-bound Texas homeschoolers have handled transcripts (and how your local colleges have dealt with them), before you give up homeschooling the way you've been doing it.

I hope this helps!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Warmly,

Dianna

• Aunt Stepody likes this

#5 the5coops

the5coops

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

Good morning!

First let me say...I am so excited to have found you via the Homeschool thread on the DIS Discussion Boards. :)

Since I am new here... let me introduce myself. I have been homeschooling my boys for 6 years now, and we absolutley love it. However, I am not certain how I want to handle the situation with my soon-to-be 9th grader. As of now, we use various curriculum to meet our educational needs: including Saxon, Veritas Press, Shurley Grammar, etc. I am considering Keystone on-line next year primarily because I would like to be able to provide an official transcript for college admission. My other reason for considering this is because I do have other obligations with work and church. (I work outside the home 2 nights a week 7p-7a.)

I would love to hear any suggestions or advice you might have.

Thank you.

P.S. We are also interested in your homeschool trip to WDW in November. Hope we can join you. :)

Sorry to jump in here.  I am in the Dallas area.  My oldest is in 9th grade this year.  Have you heard of the Texas Homeschool Coalition?  They have a ton of information that might be able to help you.  Their website is thsc.org.  Also in Arlington there is a large homeschool book fair that has seminars that may be able to help you.

As far as creating a transcript, a lot of my friends have used edutrack software.  I have created my own transcript by subjects rather than grade level. Texas treats homeschools as unaccredited private schools.  Meaning you can create the standards for your school (like graduation requirements)  keeping in mind what a college may want.  If you are on the East side of  Dallas I can list the many different support groups on this side of town.  They all have have/had seminars helping parents with the high school years.

Joyfully,

Shelley

Shelley

#6 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,160 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

Shelley, don't apologize for jumping in - that's exactly what we want... homeschoolers to jump in and share their experiences and advice. Thank you! :)

Warmly,

Dianna

• the5coops likes this