DebbieD

New to homeschooling/ 8th grade SS curriculum

DebbieD

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend an 8th grade Social Studies curriculum about South Carolina?

We are new to homeschooling this year, and I just want to make sure I'm reading things correctly. We need to cover math, science, social studies, reading/Literature & writing/composition everyday of the 180 days? If we spend a whole day on a field trip that is science related, we can not count that as a full day towards the 180, only partial? Hope that made sense....

Thanks for the help,

Debbie

Dianna

Hi Debbie,

You need to cover the subjects listed throughout the year. You don't have to do every subject every day. Children (and adults) usually learn better (and retain more) if they're allowed to study topics in depth. If you spend a day on a science-related field trip, count that as 1 day of attendance.

I'd recommend keeping a weekly journal (vs a daily journal or planner) so you won't feel you need to do every subject every day. See my FAQs for more information about the different methods of record-keeping: http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/homeschool-faqs/record-keeping-testing/

Also, read this: http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/does-this-count/

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Warmly,
Dianna

• Like 1

ribbonsandbowties

Hi Debbie,

We are new to homeschooling too! Last year was our first full year (6th grade). We did a relaxed year trying to get away from the public style system and trying all kinds of free lessons to see what styles of teaching/learning we liked. This year I purchased curriculums to make planning easier on me for Middle School. We are doing a 36 week 5 day a week plan this year. I scheduled book work for 4 days leaving the 5th day open to catch up on work that might not have gotten completed, a project or a field trip. We will be doing our Math, Literature and Composition every day but I alternate Science and Social Studies units so we will be working on those one at a time.

We are using Grammer/Writing 7, Teaching Textbooks 7, Notgrass America the Beautiful and Apoligia General Science. Since I will be alternating Social Studies and Science I will be stretching those two sets for 7th and 8th grade which will allow us to do an in depth study on the topic and also help offset the price of purchasing these curriculums. 

I searched for a curriculum on just South Carolina but did not find anything that would cover a full year of Social Studies for 8th grade. There is a lot of ideas on individual state studies that you can combine along with the state history to make your own. Pinterest and Homeschool blogs are my go to resources for finding free add ons to anything I am teaching.

We just joined Carolina Homeschoolers and are very excited about the trips/classes they offer. It will be a great way to add to our learning experiences. Hope to see you on the road!!!

Jennifer

• Like 1

DebbieD

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for the information! We are looking forward to the trips/classes as well. Hope to see you on the road as well!!

Debbie