Eileen Merced

New in Homeschooling SC

Eileen Merced

Hi, I',m new in SC and unfortunately I feel like my daughters did not learn at school so I was considering to do homeschooling. I hear about K12 and Connection Academy. What you recommend base on your experience?

Tracy Dunbar

I pulled my son out of school in the middle of 6th grade (four years ago now).  We started with K12 but did not like it, we switched after just a couple of months to our own curriculum.  There seemed to be a lot of technical problems with the site going down and then we would have to make up the class when it was not convienent for us.  K12 is very much like public school. 

That being said, it has been four years since we used it.

Yanira Marie Castro

We used K12 when my son was a junior in high school for one semester. The technology issues were frustrating.

kohlby

I have not used either but have known many people who have used either or both. My advice is to know what you are getting into. Don't do it because you're nervous about homeschooling. Do it because you like how the public school does things academically but are homeschooling for other reasons. Those are the families I've seen it work quite well for. Connections seems to be less rigid than K12 based on what others have told me.

charlestonpanic

I use K12 for my daughter for Language Arts and Math.  This is our third year using the curriculums and she is now in 7th grade.  I have not had technological problems.  The literature portion can be quite extensive if you decide to do all written assignments.  We usually read and talk through the questions aloud.  I have had a few friends try to use K12 for all subjects and were very overwhelmed.  We do math/language arts five days a week. We block learn for history, science, and writing.   Our current curriculum for this year includes:

1. K12 - Language Arts and Math
  2. Supercharged Science
  3. Typing Pal (9 week course)
  4. Vocabulary - Wordly Wise
  5. VirtualSC - Latin
  6. Writing - private tutor and Bravewriter
  7. History - Have not figured out for sure which curriculum we will use for this year.  Last year we used Glencoe for Ancient Civilizations. 

Mivian

This is my first year homeschooling but we are using time4learning.com and my kids are loving it.  I have a 2nd grader and a 9th grader using the program for the bulk of their core curriculum.