jmorri0322

Science Experiments

jmorri0322

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas/experience etc. with science experiments.  I want to do more hands on science with my boys (ages 5, 11, &13) but I have no idea where to get ideas, supplies.  I thought about just going to Walmart and looking around for things I can use, however I really do not have a whole lot of "free" time to spend looking.  I've done some looking online but the various "kits" seem way too expensive and flimsy.  We're starting into our 3rd week of classes and I'm bored with the book work.  I want to encourage their interest in and fascination for all science offers but i'm struggling to put it together.  Thanking you for taking time to help.

Mivian

When I am looking to Freshen up on our curriculum, I go to lessonpathways.com
Everything is free and all the supplies are listed, that way you can plan for the things that are fun and affordable for you.  It is also sorted by grade and subject.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

charlestonpanic

I purchased Supercharged Science this year to use with my daughter (7th Grade).  I think the website could be organized better, however the experiments are really straight forward, easy to follow, and a lot of the supplies are common around the house or not too expensive.  If I had known about this website before I would have used it in previous years.  I purchased at a discount through:  https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org

Carey428

I have homeschooled my special needs daughter for several years now and here are a few science projects that we have done: After studying about dinosaurs and volcanos we made a dinosaur terrarium using a cardboard box, paper mâché, some leaves and grass, paints and play dough. She picked out her favorite dinosaur and we sculpted it with the play dough-let it dry over night and painted it. We built a volcano and made it erupt-we used a clean Clorox jug-we cut the top off and the very bottom and placed the top on the bottom half making it shorter so the vinegar and baking soda could get out easily.  And we built up paper mâché around it leaving the top hole open. We painted it and made it look nice and then used food coloring, vinegar and baking soda to make it erupt! She loved doing this & we ended up making it erupt over and over again! We have also done a butterfly unit and I ordered a butterfly kit online for about $30. This included a screen house, larvae & milkweed seeds. We raised the caterpillars into monarch butterflies and released them. She loved this project. We planted some extra milkweed outside in our garden in hopes to attract more butterflies. We did a frogs unit and I bought a small plastic cage for about $5 and we set out to some swampy areas in the spring time to find some frog eggs. We bought some reptile food for about $3. She raised her tadpoles to frogs and released them. Every year we plant a garden and I always include this in her science curriculum-till, plant, harvesting, canning and freezing.  With all of these projects we used YouTube and Netflix to watch documentaries. I included a few pics of our projects for you to get an idea:) The most expensive thing was the butterfly unit-but so worth every penny:) This year we have watched the planet earth documentaries and we have visited the zoo, aquarium and made a few trips to the beach so far. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg