stephmcgrath

Pulling Out of School in Middle of Year

stephmcgrath

Hi everyone - I've been stalking watching this group for a few years now and the timing has never been right (but is it ever?!). Anyway, my son is now in 4th grade and I am considering pulling him out after Winter break to homeschool him. I understand the rules around # of days of school etc., but is there anything else I need to be aware of? For instance, I am in Greenville county. Does anyone know the requirements around how I need to notify the school system? Also, I think the date has passed to join Carolina Homeschooler for this year so what option do I need to claim? 

thank you so much!

Dianna

Hi Steph, if you haven't yet, please read my FAQs here: http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/homeschool-faqs/      It answers many of the questions new homeschoolers often have.

Whichever association you register with (I recommend choosing an Option 3 association) will help you with withdrawing from the school district, etc. Here's a list of associations to choose from: http://ed.sc.gov/districts-schools/state-accountability/home-schooling/

Warmly,

Dianna

stephmcgrath

Dianna - I plan to use you! :-) thanks for the links. I did read the FAQs again today. I guess the one thing I'm still not understanding is this: If registration for this school year is closed for Carolina Homeschooler, what do I need to do for the part of this school year when I pull him out of public school? Hope that makes sense! So do I need to register another way until I can register with you for next year?

thanks!

Stephanie

Dianna

Hi Stephanie,

Yes - you'll have to register with a different association to get you through this year, but you can join my association next year. I usually open registration in January (with good discounts for families who register January through April).

Warmly,
Dianna

• Like 1