Dianalsw

NaNoWriMo 2016

Dianalsw

Does anyone participate in NaNo?

I am a member of the Columbia Region on the NaNo site and Facebook.  I was wondering if there were any other writers out there.

Greyeyed

I participated in NaNoWriMo for at least two years (maybe three). I know I did one November one and one summer one but I think I may have done two November ones. I was in Wisconsin at the time. :)

Sofia

I did NaNoWriMo this month on the kids website! I just hit my goal of 30,000 earlier today :)

• Like 1

Dianna

I've tried, but I can never quiet my inner editor enough to finish. I'll try again one day.

• Like 1

Sofia
22 hours ago, Dianna said:

I've tried, but I can never quiet my inner editor enough to finish. I'll try again one day.

It was hard for me to get my inner editor out, too! I managed, though.

Okay, fine, I did a little editing as I went... :lol:

• Like 1

Dianna

LOL! I can't do just a little... that's my problem!

• Like 1

Greyeyed

My husband challenged me to write for NaNoWriMo. I did not find out about it until Nov. 4, 2011 so I started out the challenge behind.

When I wrote for NaNoWriMo the first time I had a hard time not rewriting every few paragraphs until I realized that I would never get anywhere if I continued going back and rewriting everything over and over again. So I forced myself to correct nothing; to not go back and read anything, just keep pushing on. I told myself it was not about writing the perfect story it was about creating a completed story. I wrote it on an iPad with a keyboard. I had over 50,000 words by Nov. 25th and I finished the novel in three months. I had two editors and kept them both busy. After editing my final word count was 198,671. Yes, it was ugly to hand over to the first editor, [who was my husband so it was not that hard (embarrassing) to hand it over] but I had a complete story and that felt way better than an unfinished perfect story no one would ever see. I wrote a second book during the summer camp and by day 31, I had 99,000 plus words. So my advice is to lock up that inner editor as she is an obstacle, inhibiting your writing, not perfecting it. And you can always let her out after the creating part is finished. [Then no one has to see the ugly unedited version beside yourself.] ;) Have a lovely day!  

• Like 2

Dianna

Once things slow down, I'll try again. I don't think I'll wait until next November. I really want to do it. I was just weaker than my inner editor - but maybe I can buy a stronger lock next time ( ;) ) and keep her away!

• Like 2

Greyeyed

Good luck to you! I cannot express how wonderful a feeling completing a book elicits.

And if you want to share it with the world, it's easier than ever to self-publish. Amazon Kindle and Apple iBooks both make it easy to sell an electronic book where you set the price and there is no overhead. [Free is an option, too.] PLUS... if you are dying to have a hard cover [or paperback] of your own book for your personal collection [or as a gift to someone else] You can get a, one of, printed version of your book. Or allow it to be printed one at a time for those who wish to buy a physical book. [Part of Amazon called CreateSpace.]

Sorry if this is more than you bargained for. I just can't help myself. [Which is likely why my books are so wordy *blushes*]

• Like 2

Dianna

No - I love your enthusiasm! I've published non-fiction (ebook, print, audio) via Amazon/CreateSpace/Audible, so I'm familiar with that. But I can't write fiction - and I'd love to. Non-fiction is so much easier for me (because of my inner editor issues).

• Like 2

Sofia

Finishing a novel - or even just hitting your word count feels really rewarding. I doubt I'll publish my novel, but I have a few friends who've supported me and really want to read it, so I'll share the downloaded file once I finish. And oHMYGOODNESS Greyeyed, that's a lot - go you! I'm hoping to go for 40,000 next year... ^_^

Ms. Dianna, it's funny because I feel like I'm better at writing fiction since I don't have to keep it real/accurate! :lol: 

• Like 1