• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 squirrellyec

squirrellyec

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:41 AM

I am curious how others do record keeping.  My daughter will be going into 4th grade.  I saw that there are services that will do it for you, software, planners, etc.  How do others keep records and what has their experience been?  Does record keeping need to be daily or can it be done by semester?  Do you need grades or just show what was covered in a lesson? 

Thanks for all y'alls help!!

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

South Carolina requires a journal, diary, plan book, or something similar to record work. I'd recommend daily or weekly since it would be difficult to remember what a child has done at the end of each semester (unless you use textbooks for each subject).

I use an excel file, with each month having its own worksheet. Dates run down the A column, subjects run along the top (each subject has its own column), then I note what was done in each subject for each day. This serves as an attendence record, too (also required by SC law).

Grades or progress is documented in a bi-annual (every 90 days) progress report. You can can do a simple report card, or do a summary of what was learned in each subject area.

All of the above is discussed in more detail at http://www.carolinah....com/afaq7.html.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Warmly,

Dianna

#3 squirrellyec

squirrellyec

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:35 AM

Thanks Dianna,

You have been very helpful.  I did read FAQ.  Just curious if others have had success with other options as well.  I currently just use a spiral notebook to write the date then list the subjects and times spent on them.  So 5/22 Math 3-4pm.  Would this be sufficient?  So progress report would be listing subjects and what was specifically taught.  Such as: Science-magnets or would it need to be more detailed?  Is there a resource that has examples of what can be used?  I've seen transcripts, but they all seem to be geared towards high school adn have subject with a grade/credit.

Thanks again for all your help!!

#4 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

A spiral notebook to record daily or weekly instruction is absolutely fine. At the end of each semester (90 days), just do a simple report card listing the required subjects for 4th-graders: reading, writing, math, science, social studies, and then give each a grade. You can use the typical A, B, C, D, F grading scale, or use S for satisfactory, U for unsatisfactory, and N for needs improvement.  Or, you can summarize skills learned for each subject area (this takes more work).

You don't have to list everything taught in each subject for your 90-day progress reports (report card or summary) - that's what your daily/weekly spiral notebook is for.

Check out the Donna Young website for forms and examples of different record-keeping methods: http://donnayoung.org/index.htm

Warmly,

Dianna