Swestie32

Delaying kindergarten?

Swestie32

Hello,

I am planning on homeschooling my twin girls starting in kindergarten. They are currently 4 and in a half-day preschool that we love. Their school has a TK class, and since they are August birthdays right at the cutoff, I'm considering enrolling them for next year. To do this I would need to fill out a kindergarten waiver since I would technically be delaying kindergarten entry by a year. After their TK year I would start homeschooling for kindergarten. Is this a bad idea, because I would be filling out a waiver and therefore I could be causing issues with the school board? Or is it perfectly legal to do it that way? If we were planning on public school we would be delaying anyway. Sorry if this is confusing. Thanks!

Dianna

It's fine to do this. Since you're doing the waiver, you won't have to keep records (since you won't technically be homeschooling). Once you begin homeschooling, you'll need to keep records. At that point, I recommend listing the grade level as where they would be if they were in the public schools, but teaching them where they're at. (The grade is just for record-keeping purposes.) Since your children are right at the cutoff, you can choose the grade level you feel they're best suited for - and adjust later, if needed.

Warmly,

Dianna

Swestie32

Thank you so much! That makes perfect sense to list their grade level according to where they are at for record keeping purposes, but to just teach them where they are at. Their preschool is awesome and the TK class seems to be the favorite!