Swestie32

Grade level placement

Swestie32

Hello! How do private or public schools decide which grade a homeschooled child will enter if they decide to make that transition? Is it by age or by academic level that they are at? Thanks!

Dianna

They usually go by age. If you want to enroll them in a different grade, they may ask for standardized test results or give their own tests to determine appropriate placement. At the high school level, they may ask them to take end-of-course exams before granting credit.

Swestie32

Thank you Dianna! So if I do hold my twin girls back from kindergarten with a kindergarten waiver, is there a chance I will run in to issues down the road if they end up enrolling in a traditional school? Such as will the kindergarten waiver not be taken into account years down the road?

Dianna

No, I doubt you'll run into any problems if you want to place them a year behind because your twins are right at the date cut-off, and because twins are usually born earlier than singletons. (If they would've been born on their due date, they would have been in the previous grade.)

This may not be your situation, but it's a sound argument if you need justification for putting them in a lower grade.

Warmly,

Dianna

Swestie32

Thank you! Yes this is exactly our case. The girls were born early and wouldn't actually be eligible for kindergarten based on their due date, which is why I'd like to hold them.

Dianna

In this case, I'd list them as the grade they'd be in according to their due date (whether homeschooling or public schooling), and disregard their birthdate for placement.