4 replies to this topic

#1 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

We're going to England and Scotland in May 2014 for our second international trip and hope you can join us!

Our 10-day trip will include visits to London, England and Edinburgh, Scotland, and several points of interest between the two cities.

Highlights include:
a ride on the London Eye, a cruise on the Thames, and a show featuring highland dancers and bagpipers
seeing famous landmarks like Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament, Piccadilly Circus, Buckingham Palace (and watch the changing of the guard), and the "old town" and "new town" of Edinburgh
touring St. Paul's Cathedral, the Tower of London, Windsor Castle, and the British Museum (which houses the Rosetta Stone), Stonehenge, the Roman Baths, Shakespeare's birthplace, Edinburgh Castle, the medieval city of York, and more!

For more information, see http://www.carolinah...atraveleng.html

Any questions? Post them here and I'll add them to my FAQ list below.

Frequently Asked Questions

What do you think airfare will be like for May 2014?

Based on past research, I think it'll be around $1000 per person, round-trip to/from London. Fares for May won't open up for a while, but start doing price alerts to get an idea of what is typical. (Registered families can also share our "fare finds" as we go along.) If you plan to add on to the trip, consider adding days before our dates instead of afterwards. Once you hit June, fares increase dramatically (which is why I chose May for this trip).

What will the weather be like?

Tempatures toward the end of May usually average in the 60s-70s, with change of rain averaging around 50% (which is actually good for England). Pack clothes that you can layer, plus an umbrella.

Can my student attend without a parent?

My trips are family trips. Parents, aunts/uncles, grandparents, or other responsible adult must travel with their children.

#2 Carole Hill

Carole Hill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

Hi Dianna,

I just looked at airfare. What I saw for June of this year was 1200-1300. I know you have done your research. What figure are you planning on for airfare?

Thanks,

Carole

#3 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:45 PM

Carole, airfare to London jumps once June hits. When I was planning this trip, I tested dates and if I entered a June date (even June 1), it jumped several hundred dollars, and even more toward the end of June and later in the summer.

I researched airfares for this trip in March 2012 for May 2012 flights, and it ran in the 800's. I also researched this past March for May 2013 flights and it was in the 900's (I found a non-stop Charlotte to London for $950.) Leaving on Thursday is cheaper (which is what we'll probably do because most flights I found were overnight flights).

Also, a note about May weather - it usually averages in the 60-70s, and can be cool, but the chance of rain is usually lower than other summer months (50% as opposed to 110% ;)  ).

So, anyway, I'm planning on subscribing to price alerts (round-trip Charlotte to London) so I can jump on a good deal, but my guess is around $900-$1,000. Hopefully less. If it's more, you'll hear my Visa crying again like it did when I paid for five Italy tickets. Its feelings are still hurt over that. ;)

Edited to add: I hope you can go with us, but understand if you'd rather wait for the next one since you've already been to England. You could always do my Wild West trip! (Hint, hint!)

Also, I meant to add - airfare to London and out of Scotland (a multi-city fare) was priced so high when I researched that I tabled that idea. We're going in and out of London.

Warmly,

Dianna

#4 Carole Hill

Carole Hill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:10 AM

As far as I'm concerned this trip is a go for us. I have to speak with my family and co-workers to make sure that there are no reservations about me going though. Since work is a family affair, I feel like I have to discuss with them before pulling the trigger.

Thanks for the info. it helps!

#5 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

Carole, woo-hoo! I'll add you to the tentative list, then. It won't be much longer until we fill the first bus. Then we can work on the second! :)

Oh, and give me your mom's phone number - if she's not going with us, then I'll tell her she has to milk the cows so Mike can go with us! (Or did I scare him off at our Barrier Island trip?) ;)

Warmly,
Dianna