aspen

New to homeschooling

aspen

Hi everyone! I will be starting my homeschool journey with my daughter very soon.  We are very excited to begin. :)

• Like 1

Dianna

Hi Aspen,

Welcome to homeschooling! How old is your daughter? Have you decided what resources you're going to use yet?

Warmly,
Dianna

• Like 1

Dianalsw

Welcome aboard!  We are all here to help and support each other.  Please do reach out to us!

Diana, homeschool mom for 9 years :)

• Like 2

aspen

Hi Dianna,

My daughter is 4 1/2 right now and she want be of kindergarten age until July. Right now we are using Bob Books as well as reading eggs. She also enjoys using starfall.com. I try to stay away from the workbooks and let her explore and do more things that are hands on. I feel right now using the standard book method is to much for a 4 1/2 year old. Children learn 365 days a year and since their is so much to learn their is no need to force a traditional book method. As we continue on our homeschool journey I will look for resources that fit her learning style. Thank You for the welcome.

• Like 1

Dianna

Aspen, that's perfect - your method is the one I use most of the time for my children (staying away from textbooks as much as possible - excluding the ones I've found that are actually interesting and well-written).

We loved the Bob Books, and then worked our way through beginning readers from the library. You have to be careful with those, though - some beginning readers aren't really for beginners. So pick and choose true beginning readers, then work your way through the more difficult beginning readers, etc.

Remember that all learning counts - trips to the zoo, museum, aquarium, state parks and historic sites, etc.

Warmly,

Dianna

• Like 1