Rebecca

Info on homeschooling

Rebecca

I am wanting to start homeschooling my 13 year old this school year and I have no idea where to start! I have read blogs, different sites, forums, and it is just overwhelming! Are there forms I need to submit to the school district to remove him from public schools or is that done when I sign up? Are there support groups near Rock Hill? Where are you located? I have researched several associations and I like this one the most, but I do have several questions! If anyone could give me some feedback I would greatly appreciate it! 

Dianna

Hi Rebecca,

It can get overwhelming with all the information about there. What I'd recommend first is reading through my Beginning Homeschooling FAQS: http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/homeschool-faqs/beginning-homeschooling/

When you're finished with those, read through my other FAQs: http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/homeschool-faqs/

If you plan to join Carolina Homeschooler, read through my Member FAQs on this page: http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/membership/   It will explain what you'll need to do during the year.

The only thing you'll need to do is withdraw your student from the previous school, and give them a copy of your membership letter if they ask for proof of homeschooling. And that's it.

I'm located in Lancaster, and there are several support groups in/near Rock Hill. The Rock Hill/Fort Mill Area facebook group will help you connect with them. Here's the link to that group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/777686858987326/

The South Carolina Homeschooling Families facebook group is also a good place to connect with other SC homeschoolers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/507903992655875/

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Warmly,

Dianna

Dianalsw

Hi Rebecca!  I have a 10yo 5th grade boy, and just graduated my daughter from high school as a homeschooler.  I'm happy to be a friendly homeschool mom for you to ask questions of!

Diana :)

• Like 2

Rebecca

Thank you so much! I didn't realize how overwhelming it would be getting started! I will definitely be asking you questions! Thanks again! 

• Like 1

Rebecca

If you use a certain curriculum can you tell me which one and why you like It? I want to get everything ready for our first day of homeschooling and there's several to choose from. As of right now I think we are leaning toward Abeka! 

Dianalsw

in 4th - 7th grade with my daughter we did a bit of this and a bit of that.  I prefer the timeline of history classical education sorts of curriculums, but I did mix and match for each subject to tailor to her needs and learning style preferences.  

For literature/reading, I like Sonlight - very good boxed reading sets

For classical languages, copywork/handwriting practice, young grades classical history, logic, I like Memoria press - lovely DVDs for language teaching

for older history I like Pandia Press

for science I like Classic Science with Mr. Q - wonderful hands on science activities

Homeschool Science Kits is also a wonderful science resource :)

Math & Grammar I think are a trial and error process for each child.  You have to find the best way for them to learn, which may not be anyone's box kit.  Those are very personal and specific skills.

Math recommendations to try:

• Miquon Math
  • Cuisenaire Math
  • Base 10 Math
  • Aleks online math
  • Teaching Textbooks
  • This is truly a subject that should be chosen based on a child's processing and understanding.  Not everyone thinks the same way, and math is all about thinking & processing.

Language Arts Recommendations:

• Bridge to Latin Road - this is the only formal grammar program I ever used outside of Latin - yes, just this 1 year - it is a great reference to look back on once the notebook is complete
  • Literature - I'm a nerd and I coordinate science and the Arts (literature, art, music) as well as I can with history - studying Ancient Greece, what did they DO/contribute to history?
    • Outside of that, there are TONS of great reading lists - Caldecott (illustrator), Newberry (author), Belpre (Latino/a), Coretta Scott King (African-American), Geisel (beginning readers), O'Dell (historical fiction), Sibert (non-fiction) - there's LOTS of categories of awards with good criteria - just read & explore :)
  • Writing as a class
    • Reading A-Z - Styles of Writing lessons (I used these and we used the BJU writing exam each semester to have a teacher grade the writing style to ensure we were on track for our grade level - this system did not disappoint us)
    • The Reader's Journey and The Writer's Journey from Duke TIPS
    • NaNoWriMo Youth program - 3rd grade to age 18 - This workbook is WONDERFUL for creative writing, and my daughter found lifelong friends here
    • Brave Writer - I don't know if I have enough words to express my love for this program.  It is definitely not one for every child, but as an adult I found it to be an amazing system of gradual learning to improve writing over time.
  • Handwriting - here is where many people will disagree with me, but I find handwriting to fall under - is it legible?
    • I have 2 kids with fine motor coordination issues and slow processing speed.  The physical act of writing is a torment to them.  The use of electronics opens their world.  If you need handwriting as a class, just to improve legibility, I recommend:
      • Handwriting without Tears
      • Zaner Bloster
      • specialty handwriting paper with physical lines that can be felt and/or special colors to ease vision focus (we know all about visual and auditory processing disorders as well)
      • tracing work and copy work can be helpful, but not more than once a week

Online school - don't be afraid to look at online options for classes you don't feel comfortable teaching.  Many of the online private schools will allow you to choose just 1 class to attend.  And yes, in SC, online private (paid tuition) school counts as homeschooling.  The laws, to the best of my knowledge, have not been updated to note NON brick and mortar private schooling.  (and online schools do NOT know this)

Hugs!

• Like 1

Dianna
17 hours ago, Rebecca said:

If you use a certain curriculum can you tell me which one and why you like It? I want to get everything ready for our first day of homeschooling and there's several to choose from. As of right now I think we are leaning toward Abeka! 

Rebecca, if you choose Abeka, remember that it's published for classrooms in private Christian schools, where teachers can pick and choose what they want to teach. The publishers don't know your children, so don't feel you have to complete every exercise, every workbook page, read every chapter, do every test, etc. There's a lot of rote learning and busywork in Abeka, so pick and choose what you want to use, and throw out the rest. And if you find out it's not working for you, just throw it out the window (or give it away/sell it), and try something else.

Warmly,

Dianna

• Like 1

dcannon

Some great advice on different curriculums! That was probably the most stressful thing for me in the beginning! A friend actually recommended this FREE (yes, free!) curriculum called Easy Peasy, it's all online and goes from pre-k through high school! It's pretty neat! This is our first year trying out homeschooling, and are so excited! We are also in the RH area! I figured we would start with the free curriculum as our "guide" and then I will swap and tweak things as we need to, as we figure out what works for us. I already have so many fun ideas from Pinterest to swap some stuff around with EP,  or to just add to what we're learning already. I am still getting things organized and ready for the first couple of weeks. I'm also being mindful that we will need lots of grace and flexibility while we transition into our new homeschooling journey...but we couldn't be any more excited! Good luck with your journey, and I'll be around on here if you'd like to reach out! :) 

• Like 2