Sign in to follow this  
Wilbgar1

What constitutes a school year?

Wilbgar1

Hello,

New soon to be homeschooler here. We will be pulling my 2nd grade daughter out of the school system in the next few months.  My understanding is that 180 days equals a school year.  If that's the case then, could you technically push your child to complete two school years every calendar year? Again if that is the case my daughter could technically graduate when she is 13?

To put everyone at ease the DNA that I have passed to my child will not allow this to happen, nor would I want this. Simply put, my brain requires I have all of the answers.  

Thank you

Edited by Wilbgar1

Dianna

South Carolina law requires that students be registered somewhere (public, private, or homeschool) until age 17, so you'd run into problems if you graduate them too early.

That said, I believe learning is a journey, not a race. A lifelong journey, actually. So instead of going faster, I recommend that parents encourage their children to go deeper. There's so much to learn, we'll never learn it all in one lifetime, so take advantage of the first 18 years of our lives to learn as much as we can, before adult responsibilities compete for our attention.

Dianna

• Like 1

Dianna

You're welcome. :)