• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Twinkle Twinkle

Twinkle Twinkle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:19 AM

Does anyone know where to purchase science lab materials such as horseshoe magnet, bar magnets, woolen clothe, glass rod, tiny light bulbs, and bulb holder, brass fasteners.  I'm using several science picture books with labs.  I'm having trouble cruising around town looking for all this lab equipment.  Home Depot and Lowes are the most cost effective, but I loose a lot of time in those big stores with so much inventory, yet they don't have a lot of what I need. The smaller family run hardware stores are quite expensive though they have the harder to find items.  Online purchasing is a drag with $40 every time after shipping and tax! Any help is appreciated....I hope there is a better way to collect these items.  My boys are little and don't get excited over textbooks so these labs with follow up with internet pictures or a dvd keep them homeschooling.  Please help.  Thanks so much!  Happy Summer!! :-D

#2 Laura Launius

Laura Launius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

I purchase a good deal of my items from www.hometrainingtools.com and www.rainbowresource.com --- if you sign up for hometrainingtools.com newsletter, etc. then you get periodic coupon codes for dollars off or percent off and/or free shipping.    For local places I've had luck at school supply stores (although Rainbow and HomeTraining are normally cheaper).

• Dianna likes this

#3 diande76

diande76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:12 PM

I have been looking for all kinds of homeschooling materials-encyclopedias, picture dictionary, microscope, star charts, etc. We are brand new to homeschooling and our daughter is 5. I tried posting on craigslist which in turn had either nasty emails sent to me or was flagged off removal. However, someone did tell me to go to sc state surplus where a lot of school stuff is sold for cheap. I am also going to try office supply stores along with Facebook homeschool stuff for free or cheap.

#4 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

Why did you get nasty emails on Craigslist and/or get flagged for removal? I'm not as familiar with Craigslist as my husband is, so am not sure how it works for curriculum buying and selling.

Dianna

#5 Laura Launius

Laura Launius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

I have been looking for all kinds of homeschooling materials-encyclopedias, picture dictionary, microscope, star charts, etc. We are brand new to homeschooling and our daughter is 5. I tried posting on craigslist which in turn had either nasty emails sent to me or was flagged off removal. However, someone did tell me to go to sc state surplus where a lot of school stuff is sold for cheap. I am also going to try office supply stores along with Facebook homeschool stuff for free or cheap.

I've never used Craigslist -- but if you're looking for encyclopedias, dictionaries, etc.  You might try consignment or Good Will shops in your area.  Staples has things like Star Charts, etc.  You won't need a good microscope for awhile if you're only hsing a 5 yo --- you could easily use something like this:  http://www.hometrain.../p/MI-PK100X/  and a simple slide set to place items you want to look at under the microsope.  My kids used these a lot when younger, especially on nature walks.     If you're in the upstate of SC I can give you info on a book sale that is tomorrow.

• Dianna likes this

#6 sngoebel

sngoebel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:49 PM

Hi, I'm a science teacher at a couple of co-ops. I'm always on the lookout for cheap supplies because I don't get very much money for supplies. I have used Home Training Tools and they're prices are fair. I like their kits - it's a little more expensive to buy kits but it saves so much time running around trying to find materials. They don't have everything in the kits, but what's not included is easy to find. I have also found good deals on Ebay, but you never know what items are on sale - there's no consistency. I found another company, that I use all the time now - Lighthouse productions - they have good prices - here's their website: http://www.lighthous...uctionsinc.com/ If you need dissection supplies, BIO Corporation has the best prices that I found so far. Here's their website: http://www.biologyproducts.com/

• Dianna likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: science, magnets, lab kits