27 replies to this topic

#21 Laura Launius

Laura Launius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:27 AM

I agree w/ getting the Unofficial Guide.   A tour plan would probably be helpful too -- we've only used TG Mike but it's not the way to go anymore.  If we do one this time we'll use Touringplans.com.

I have to admit in all the trips to Disney we've never once made rope-drop.  I always wanted to, but it's just not my families thing.  Since we do park-hoppers and go for more than 4-5 days I don't see as necessary anymore to get to the park for every hour that it's open.  

The dining pkg for Fantasmic is a good thing if you don't want to wait a long time in line.  There are three restaurants -- Hollywood and Vine, Brown Derby and Mama Melrose. 

#22 Robin Harrison Axelberd

Robin Harrison Axelberd

Dis-tracted mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Location'Burbs of Atlanta

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:51 AM

The show at MK prior to rope drop is great if you have Mickey fans! My youngest *loves* Mickey and watching his face when Mickey arrived on the train was alone worth the entire cost of the trip!!!  :wub:

#23 Jennifer Berry

Jennifer Berry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

One of my priorities for this trip is to make rope drop! It helps that our first morning, if we get our first choice classes, ds will have to be at the TTC at 7:15. 8-) I'm hopeful that once the other kids see how much we get to ride by being there early that morning, plus the fact that right now the parks are projected to be closed by 9 most nights (updated hours should come out mid-October when Disney has more accurate estimates and schedules their cast members), we'll be able to keep on an early schedule. Frankly, my mom and I probably will be up at 6 every morning from sheer excitement! :-D

#24 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,421 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:46 PM

Jennifer, I'm a night owl, but the best way to go at Disney is definitely the early morning rope drop schedule. Your children will love it once they adjust to it.

All of your classes have been confirmed, so you can proceed with your plans. (I sent an email out on Thursday with class confirmations, but you must not have received it. Please check your spam folder to see if it's there.)

#25 Dina Minton Cary

Dina Minton Cary

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:14 PM

Thank you so much for sharing the planning sheet!  I am just now getting into details of what to expect and what to anticipate, and I think you just halved my actual planning time!  We are first-time Disney goers, so we are really looking forward to it.

Dina

#26 Robin Harrison Axelberd

Robin Harrison Axelberd

Dis-tracted mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

UPDATED WDW Schedule available now. 

I have updated the public calendar and highlighted the changes to park hours. Additionally, parades and Fantasmic! shows have been added. For more info, go here:

http://www.easywdw.c...ges/#more-11897

Hope this helps!

Robin

• Dianna likes this

#27 hsmama

hsmama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:01 AM

all this info is great- starting to get excited here too! :D   I have read all the books mentioned above, the unofficial guide is great for a 1st timer,or if you're unsure of schedules,etc. I  think their lines app works really well too along with the touring plan,for a small fee.

I usually go with easywdw,it's free and  our past couple of trips the info on parks etc has been right on the mark....we were able to tour where we wanted without too many crowds and lines this way. I recommend paying attention to their 'parks to attend,parks to avoid' list for each day...

FWIW, we NEVER make rope drop (I doubt my family would even know what that term means LOL) We follow the easywdw advice for parks, and zig when the crowd zags.... if there are a lot of people heading in one direction,we usually head in the other, unless it's for a specific timed show,like possibly Fantasmic,which is timed,and has limited viewing spaces (seats)  fireworks,parades,etc....well the parks are big,and there are lots of places around that aren't as full of people/popular,and we tend to stick with those.

(example: Main Street USA,MK avoid at all costs during the nighttime fireworks show,or night parades. Hang out farther back in the park, walk around to find good views,and avoid all the crowds)

The guides provide info on grabbing a fastpass or 2 to a very popular ride, and we pay attention to that also.

#28 Robin Harrison Axelberd

Robin Harrison Axelberd

Dis-tracted mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:59 AM

As I see changes to park recommendations, I am updating the spreadsheet. Today I updated some recommendations from Touring Plans that affect the later part of the week. So, if you are using this tool, you may want to check on it from time-to-time to see if there are new changes.