• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 secesh

secesh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

Hello, we have been considering homeschooling our son for a number of years but are just now seriously looking into it. We live in Colleton County in S.C. and would like any advice anyone can give us on curriculum, material and pace of schedule. Our son is entering grade eight this year with some deficiencies in language arts. I have spoke with the S.C. Calvert Academy and understand it is in fact a public school. But with the course material provided by the state and the classroom time guidlines I feel it may be a good start for us. I do, however, desire more flexability in time and course material for our son. Can anyone give me some opinons and advice on using an online public school versus total educational autonomy?

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,639 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

Hi, and welcome to our community. :)

If you use any of the SC virtual schools (Calvert, K12, Connections), then you're a public school family and will have to abide by public school requirements for scheduling, testing, curriculum, etc.

If you just purchase their curriculum (and don't register with them as a SC public school student), then you have more flexibility because they're not in control of your student's learning... you are.

For the most flexibility in scheduling, curriculum, etc., homeschooling is the best choice for most families. In that case, I recommend that you read through my FAQs first: http://www.carolinah...r.com/afaq.html   They should answer many of the questions you have.

If you have other questions after reading through my FAQs, please feel free to post them here. Also, search through the messages here that pertain to virtual schooling. There have been a couple of threads about it in the past.

Warmly,

Dianna

#3 Laura Launius

Laura Launius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:47 PM

We have never used a virtual charter school so I can' speak to that, except to say that I know of two families that use them and it fits for their purpose.  The other families that I've known that have used them haven't liked the constraints placed upon them by the virtual schools and felt it was too much like public school at home. 

The wonderful thing about homeschooling is the flexibility to meet your dc's needs at whatever level and pace they need.  We are very lucky that there are so many great resources available to homeschool with, although I can see where it can be overwhelming just walking into it.  I would encourage you, especially with an 8th grader, to get his feedback and see how he thinks he learns best.  I have one that loves textbooks and workbooks and thrives w/ a balance of textbooks and living books.  On the other hand I have two that don't do well w/ a traditional textbook approach in most subjects so we use more living books for that one. 

• Dianna likes this

#4 BillieJo Youmans

BillieJo Youmans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

We have reveled in the freedom to pursue education on our schedule and with the priorities we feel fit our family at any given time.  It has allowed us to vacation at off-season rates, tailor curriculum choices, be available for family during health crisis and even serve in the community during disasters.  As another posted, the entrance to the vast number of resources is actually intimidating at first but it becomes a great blessing.  Best wishes as you work through your decision.  Billie Jo

• Dianna likes this