• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jennkurtz

jennkurtz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:32 PM

I have been homeschooling since the beginning and have never had to withdraw a student from public school.  I was recently asked how one would go about letting the school know that you planned to homeschool.  I started looking for the answer on-line and was sort of amazed that I couldn't find a cut and dry answer to send her.  She is in Dorchester 2 in case that makes a difference.  Is there a mandatory way to go about informing the school?

Thanks in advance.

Peace~ Jenn K

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,655 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:43 PM

Jenn, parents can send a letter to the school or visit personally to let them know they'll be homeschooling. If the school asks to see proof of homeschooling, parents show them their membership letter (or whatever their association gives them) or send a copy along with their withdrawal letter. If they join Carolina Homeschooler and request that I notify the school of their status as homeschooler, I mail the school principal a letter stating that they're members of Carolina Homeschooler homeschooling under the 3rd Option, and ask for the school to mail all records and transcripts to the parents. Other associations may do things differently.

Warmly,

Dianna

• Melissa G likes this

#3 mommanessy

mommanessy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

found this post looking for info on JUST this very topic. :D

So It's that easy?

Just write a letter to the school principal & include a copy of the carolinahomeschooler membership letter & thats it?

No need for the principal to get the unenrollement approved by the school district? no formal meeting? no questions asked?

#4 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,655 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:42 PM

Yes, it's that easy (thank goodness!). You can go by the school, show them the letter, and get your children's things and that's that. They can't approve or disapprove - it's just a done deal.

I've found that going in person is better than sending the letter. I no longer notify schools via letter because they always seemed to get misplaced. It was less of an issue when parents went in person.

Warmly,

Dianna

#5 mommanessy

mommanessy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:51 AM

oh i know all about the "misplaced" deal...Its easy to say you never got it or its been misplaced, to avoid the issue. I remember the school staff pulling this stunt on MY mom & bshe always either told them where they should be able to find the "misplaced" document & whala it was magically found or she could go "oh you lost it? thats ok i have copies. [pulls another copy out of file folder]" LOL my  mom dont mess around nor did she ever fall for all that foolishness. Being a foster mom she HAD to have documents for EVERYTHING & always had like 2-3 copies of anything the schools might "lose". She NEVER let the schools bully her or lie to her or pull these stupid "we misplaced it" stunts cuz she went in knowing more about all the procedures & policies then they ever imagined she'd know. She wasnt afraid to remind them of how things were supposed to be done & usually we'd all leave the meeting with the staff being/feeling a little shamed & me a little embarrassed but amused at the same time cuz if they ever tried to pull any unfair tactic or treatment of me i could always "call my mom". never had to actually ;) . it got interesting pretty quick when my mom started getting volunteer positions in the library or cafeteria....

#6 Stephanie Schultz

Stephanie Schultz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:55 AM

We plan on homeschooling next school year. When will I need to inform the school? Would I still need to go in?

#7 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,655 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:08 PM

We plan on homeschooling next school year. When will I need to inform the school? Would I still need to go in?

Stephanie, you don't need to inform the school if your children aren't attending the school at that time. Register with an association early in the summer so you'll have your paperwork in hand by the time school starts in your area. If you get any calls from the school, just tell them you're homeschooling and mail them a copy (not the original) of your membership letter. You won't need to officially withdraw them since they're not attending.

(If you register with Carolina Homeschooler, there's a $15 early registration discount until the end of February. Your membership won't begin until June 1, 2014, though.)

Warmly,

Dianna

• Melissa G likes this

#8 Beth62442

Beth62442

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

So, if I understand correctly, my youngest (who will be starting to homeschool in Kindergarten in the fall) doesn't have to do anything.  I don't have to tell the district or my local public school (btw, I live in Spartanburg 7).  However, my other son, who is currently in 4th grade and will be homeschooled by me in the fall, will need to have a letter sent to the school?

Also - I am having difficulty getting the 2nd quarter report card for my oldest whom I pulled out mid-year from 7th grade.  I asked for one the day he left, called the asst. principal about 6 weeks later, and just sent them an email a few days ago with no response!  Will it take my going there in person to get this done?  Anyone else ever have this problem?

#9 kohlby

kohlby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:04 AM

Beth - You need to do a waiver for the kindergartener.  For this, you go to the elem school you are zoned for and fill one out there.  And that's it. 

Some people don't want their kids anywhere on the public school's radar, so in that case, you would need to officially sign up as a homeschooler instead - like an option 3 group.  The drawback of that is then you need to document.  But if you are the type to document anyway, then that wouldn't be a big deal to you.  You do not tell the public school anything in that case.

I fully unschool at kindy age and document nothing that year.  My kids are also already on the public school's radar due to taking speech therapy there.  So, it was pretty easy for me to decide to use the waiver. 

#10 Beth62442

Beth62442

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:00 PM

Thanks, Kohlby!  My youngest is doing speech therapy at the local elementary school.  However, I've already signed up with CHS for the 2014-15 school year, so I think I'm good.  Keeping records won't be a problem, because I have to do it for his two brothers anyway.

#11 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,655 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:29 PM

So, if I understand correctly, my youngest (who will be starting to homeschool in Kindergarten in the fall) doesn't have to do anything.  I don't have to tell the district or my local public school (btw, I live in Spartanburg 7).  However, my other son, who is currently in 4th grade and will be homeschooled by me in the fall, will need to have a letter sent to the school?

Also - I am having difficulty getting the 2nd quarter report card for my oldest whom I pulled out mid-year from 7th grade.  I asked for one the day he left, called the asst. principal about 6 weeks later, and just sent them an email a few days ago with no response!  Will it take my going there in person to get this done?  Anyone else ever have this problem?

Beth, you won't have to do anything for the kindergarten student since you're already homeschooling. The only time you would sign a waiver is if you don't want to register with an association. If you're registering with an association, your kindergarten student is covered by that registration. And you won't have to officially withdraw him because he was never enrolled in the first place.

For your other son, you won't have to officially withdraw him if you wait until fall to homeschool. If they contact you to see where he is and request proof of homeschooling, mail or fax your membership letter.

Warmly,

Dianna

#12 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,655 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:32 PM

Your current homeschool association may have better luck getting this for you, if you don't want to go in person. (I can request it on your behalf in the fall, if you don't mind waiting until then. I can do it after June 1 if there's someone still in the office at the school who can pull records.)

Warmly,

Dianna

#13 Beth62442

Beth62442

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:59 PM

Thanks, Dianna!  I think I'll give them one more shot before showing up live and in person ;)

• Dianna likes this

#14 Sonya Richards-sturgill

Sonya Richards-sturgill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:30 PM

I just decided to homeschool and applied with a homeschool association today.  Public school starts in a week and a 1/2.  I will not get my paperwork of approval until after school has already started.  My question is should I send her to ps for those few days and then pull her out once I am approved and have proper documentation, or should I keep her home and begin homeschooling?

#15 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,655 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:10 AM

Sonya, I recommend that you ask your association director to see what he/she recommends. They'll have to be available to vouch that the paperwork is going through, so they'll be better able to advise you.

Warmly,

Dianna