Photo

Anyone done Discovering the American Spirit before?

spd disney class

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jennifer Berry

Jennifer Berry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:10 PM

I guess our classes aren't really confirmed yet so this is premature, but bear with me. :-)

My son, 11, is planning to attend Discovering the American Spirit and is very excited, but he is also feeling anxious bc he doesn't know exactly what to expect. One of the quirks of his SPD is that novelty can be anxiety-producing bc he doesn't know what he's going to experience or what the expectations will be of him. We talk through the class description and watch the video, but it occurred to me that someone here might have taken the class before and be able to describe their experience or share photos. Thanks so much for taking the time!

Jen

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,730 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:48 PM

We haven't scheduled American Spirit for at least 5 years, and I wasn't the chaperone for it, unfortunately, so I can't tell you anything about it (other than what I've read). I'm sorry. :(

#3 Jennifer Berry

Jennifer Berry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:54 AM

Aw, bummer. Is it okay for me to ask here, once we are finalized, if one of the chaperones is familiar with SPD (or Asperger's, as a lot of his behaviors are similar) so that we can talk ahead and he can have an adult who is his go-to? Just want to be proactive so he can feel at ease going in! :-)

#4 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,730 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:22 AM

Hi Jennifer, please email me about this so I can talk to you about the best options for your son.

Warmly,

Dianna

#5 Jennifer Berry

Jennifer Berry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:01 PM

Sure will!  Thanks!