Leanne Smith

Recommendations for offsite hotels, timeshares, rentals, etc.

Rex Hendricks    2
Rex Hendricks

My family has stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek several times. We love it there. It is one of our favorite Wyndham Resorts. I cannot answer any questions regarding shuttles to and from Disney, because we have never actually gone to Disney while staying at Bonnet Creek. The resort is exceptional, and noise is not an issue, except when Disney has their nightly fireworks. :-) We are going to be staying there in April, and going to Disney for the first time with my 2 little girls. If I remember, I will come back and share my experience.

• Like 1

Leanne Smith    4
Leanne Smith

Op...here..forgot to mention..we did the Windsor hills townhouse with small private swimming pool..we put an offer out and paid..900$ for 10 days...3/3 bedroom bathroom. I've looked at skyauction and got scared away from the options..and we drove by bonnett creek it was very big....just huge complex...just fyi..here's link..some rooms are better themed than Disney resort..

http://www.windsorhillsrent.com/

Jennifer Berry    9
Jennifer Berry

I'm very curious to hear more details about staying off-site. Specifically, here is my concern: IF we go to Disney this year, it will be with my (active 60s) parents, my husband, and our three kids (11, 9, and 6 at time of trip), and with a group that large we definitely plan to do some serious splitting up. We could have three separate adult/child groups going to three different parks, because with the personalities we have that really is the best way to be sure everyone's going to be happy. So for us it seems like the Disney transportation is the way to go to allow maximum independence, would you agree? Or is there a way to do that from off-property that I haven't thought of, that doesn't involve driving three cars and eliminating any savings we would have gotten on the accommodations? I promise not to argue :-), and I think it would be different if it were just me and dh and the kids and we were going to be sticking together, but I'm interested in anyone has any thoughts. Thanks!

bless9ings    8
bless9ings

Robin,

I love speadsheets, seems how I am an accountant by nature. :rolleyes:   On Disboards.com, people share a lot, do you mind sharing what you have, so I can see what the prices are looking like for the different catagories?

Thanks,

Tammy

DawnM    2
DawnM

Sorry, my internet went out while trying to post.

The Windsor Hills site give me a headache with all those flashing pictures!  I think I am getting too old for things like that!

How does it work?  Do you need to fill out the form for EACH unit and wait to hear back from each ind. owner to know prices?????

Dawn

That site gives%

Robin Harrison Axelberd    18
Robin Harrison Axelberd

Robin,

I love speadsheets, seems how I am an accountant by nature. :rolleyes:   On Disboards.com, people share a lot, do you mind sharing what you have, so I can see what the prices are looking like for the different catagories?

Thanks,

Tammy

Hey Tammy!

I've enjoyed reading your posts! Your family surely has been fortunate to be able to stay on property...I'm a little jealous!  :D Hubby and I are going in May (adults only!) and staying on property. I've read that once you stay on property it's hard to "go back."  To address your question, the spreadsheets that I made up were our "touring plan" and ADRs. We had to split up some days, like when the kids take their classes, so I scheduled all of that, too. So, sorry to disappoint... ETA: But, I'm happy to share what I have, if anyone wants to see it!

I will say that it will be interesting to plan for this year because Disney is rolling out a new FastPass system. It's a hot topic of discussion on disboards.com, but it is ALL speculation right now.  I actually am hoping it will be implemented when DH and I go in May, so that I can report back what we learned. OK...I know, I've gone off-topic!

Sorry, my internet went out while trying to post.

The Windsor Hills site give me a headache with all those flashing pictures!  I think I am getting too old for things like that!

How does it work?  Do you need to fill out the form for EACH unit and wait to hear back from each ind. owner to know prices?????

Dawn

Dawn - I use homeaway.com and vrbo.com when I'm trying to find a villa or condo. At vrbo you can actually type in "Windsor Hills, Kissimmee, FL" and it will pull up the listings for that property. Then, you can narrow it by # of BRs or how many it sleeps. Then, you can go through and look at pictures and see what appeals to you. Like, for me personally, I look at things like the bedding to see how out of date it is. I know that sounds superficial and maybe I'm silly, but I think that an owner who keeps their villa up-to-date and nice looking is probably more invested in their property and in ensuring guests' satisfaction. Then, once you've narrowed it down to a few, you can contact the owners and negotiate. HTH!

~ Robin

Edited by Robin Harrison Axelberd
  • Like 1

Dianna    499
Dianna

Robin, our group tickets will be integrated with the new fast-pass system, so they've told me a lot about. It sounds great in some respects, not so great in others, but it'll be a little different for us this trip because of it!

Dianna

• Like 1

Dianna    499
Dianna

I don't remember if anyone recommended the Buena Vista Suites, but it gets good reviews from my families and is low-cost (for Disney). It has queen-bed suites that sleep six, and provides a free full breakfast. I've never stayed there, but I've seen it - it's very near the park. Here's a link: http://www.buenavistasuites.com/

Dianna

majestic57    0
majestic57

Robin, what side of Atlanta do you stay on?.  I'm over in Decatur, & would be nice to meet a neighbor  from the ATL :)

Leanne Smith    4
Leanne Smith

For Windsor hills website...just try to decide what. You want before sending the request....if its a condo just choose the dates..and any requests..ie close to pool.you can request anything...many will reply..I use a 1 time email address and weed out the expensive ones..many will negotiate... not hard..very easy you will be working with owners only..many take pride in there vacation house...only need to request one time for condos...buy if you can't decide, just complete another one for townhouses or another for single pool homes....we found cheaper prices for townhome than condo...Dianna thanks for the dates....

Edited by Leanne Smith

Michelle Townes Lofton    3
Michelle Townes Lofton

I don't know how many USAA members are on here, but I just checked the dates (Nov. 16-23) using their travel service.  All of these are for 7 nights, and found:

Vacation Village at the Parkway- for $463.00 for the week

Westgate Town Center- for $504.00 for the week

Silver Lake Resort- for $454.09 for the week

Holiday Inn and Suites, Universal - $476 for the week

Liki Tiki Resort- $72/night with one night free 

Holiday Inn at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista- $125/nt with the first Saturday at $6.00

Holiday Inn Club Vacations, Orange Lake Resort- $122/nt.

None of these are as good as the $249 SkyAuction rate, though!

• Like 1

Jennifer Berry    9
Jennifer Berry

Thanks, Michelle, never would have occurred to me to check USAA!

• Like 1

Jennifer Berry    9
Jennifer Berry

Okay, y'all, here's the challenge: my dh has told me we can ONLY do this trip if I can keep the projected budget under 4K, so I'm busting my butt to see what I can get for that money.  Any help you can give would be SO appreciated.  I went and looked at that Sky Auction site and will have to keep an eye on it, even though there's nothing there now.  FYI, there are five of us; dh, myself, ds11, ds8, and dd5.

Here's my budget as it stands:

DRIVING COSTS: fuelcostcalculator.com says $300 round trip, + $50 for town driving and cushion = $350

TICKETS: Universal for 5 plus parking for 2 days = $565

Disney for 5 plus parking for 7 days = $1330

HOTEL: 9 nights (11/15-24) at the Embassy Suites Lake Buena Vista, rate through USAA of $86/night incl. tax = $774

FOOD: free hot breakfast at hotel and snacks from 5-7pm should help, plus we're bringing food with us

So we figured $20pp per day = $100 total per day for 10 days = $1000

10 DAY TOTAL BUDGET: $4019

Of course I could take away Universal but stay the same amount of nights and have $3454

Or take away Universal AND the two additional days/nights of food/lodging and have $3082

If anyone has any other ideas of how to cut costs (or thinks I'm over/underestimating anything) please feel free to speak up, I'd love to hear from you!

Jen

Michelle Townes Lofton    3
Michelle Townes Lofton

Has anyone ever stayed at Drury Inn and Suites?  It's showing as the #1 ranked hotel in Orlando on TripAdvisor.  It looks pretty good at first glance, with complimentary hot and cold breakfast every morning; complimentary evening appetizers/snacks including chicken tenders, pasta, etc... ; and free popcorn and soda throughout the day in the lobby.  I'm thinking that that would cut down on my food budget immensely!   

However, I've never heard of this hotel before, and I am toying with the idea of staying off-site on this trip and adding a few extra days instead.  

Leanne Smith    4
Leanne Smith

I looked that hotel up and it doesn't look familiar to me at all but accept s a lot discounts..maybe on " the dis"

zbugz    0
zbugz

Has anyone ever stayed at Drury Inn and Suites?  It's showing as the #1 ranked hotel in Orlando on TripAdvisor.  It looks pretty good at first glance, with complimentary hot and cold breakfast every morning; complimentary evening appetizers/snacks including chicken tenders, pasta, etc... ; and free popcorn and soda throughout the day in the lobby.  I'm thinking that that would cut down on my food budget immensely!   

However, I've never heard of this hotel before, and I am toying with the idea of staying off-site on this trip and adding a few extra days instead.  

We have stayed at Drury Inn & Suites many times at several locations throughout the country and loved them.  Their perks make it really worthwhile.  The rooms have always been very quiet and comfortable.

autm_brze    0
autm_brze

Does anyone know if any of the hotels or resorts have a mid-day shuttle?

Dianna    499
Dianna

Does anyone know if any of the hotels or resorts have a mid-day shuttle?

Some schedule only morning and evening shuttles, but others run them several times a day. Disney transportation is continuous (until an hour after the parks close, I think). The websites of the off-site hotels/resorts should have their shuttle schedules posted for you to compare.

Warmly,

Dianna

Kristi Kaminski-Paraday    1
Kristi Kaminski-Paraday

We went this year in December but not with this group. We stayed off site for two days while we net to Legoland at the Mystic Dunes Resort. We use a groupon and got a good deal through them. We had a one bedroom, king size bed with jacuzzi, a pull out couch and full size bathroom, a kitchen. They had a clubhouse and many pools that we can use. Although they do not provide a shuttle to Disney that no know of. We loved being able to go out to eat and bring the rest home to eat at a later time. We purchased groupons for two local restaurants one being Giordano's which we love, brought it back and we had plenty to eat for the next day. We are currently thinking about staying off site this time around as we'll.

We then stayed on site for 4 night at the Caribbean Resort and loved it but the room seems a little small and not worth what we thought it should have been. Sure it had its perk like not driving our car around for those days but we barely spent anytime in the room and probably could have saved more off the resort.

Kristi Kaminski-Paraday

For those of you looking into off site hotels/resorts. The Nickelodeon Suites Resort has rooms for a nightly average of $74 a night. That is if you book under "Stay 6 and Save" option. This is a Delux 2 bedroom themed suite King/Bunk room, (With the Deluxe 2-Bedroom Themed Suite option, your kids can vacation with their favorite Nickelodeon characters. The Deluxe 2-Bedroom suite features two bedrooms, a master bedroom for parents with a king size bed which includes a door for privacy, and a semi-private Nickelodeon themed kids’ room with their own bunk beds and television. The living area has room to relax with a 32” flat screen TV, wireless internet, a bathroom, and a kitchenette with a microwave and mini fridge. Including the pullout sleeper sofa, there is enough room for six people to sleep. (485 square feet with a maximum occupancy of 6 guests) Free scheduled transportation to all Disney Theme Parks, free parking, free wifi, free onsite entertainment/waterpark. You can book all 7 nights for just a little over $800.

Amanda Dellinger Mohammed    0
Amanda Dellinger Mohammed

Kristi how was the transportation to Disney from The Nickelodeon Suites Resort? It doesn't give a schedule and just says it is first come first served. How was your experience?

Kristi Kaminski-Paraday

I do not know. This will be our first time going there but all the reviews are good and didn't really hear anything bad. If you are worried about transportation you can always park in downtown Disney for free and take the shuttles to where you want to go. They do not check any ID on the shuttles.

Amanda Dellinger Mohammed    0
Amanda Dellinger Mohammed

My only concern is that I want to be able to get back to the room midday to lay the babies down. I called Nickelodeon Suites Resort and the transport schedule was not out for November yet. The lady I spoke with said she could only tell me what they had available now and last month. So it looked like the return shuttles were 2:20, 4:20, 6:20 and 8:20 or so on. I'll keep looking. I wish onsite wasn't so pricey, I'll figure it out.

christine789    0
christine789

We've decided to stay at  Homewood Suites for $109.32 tax included per.  The draw for us was the spacious room and kitchen area, so we have to option to cook.   It does offer Disney shuttle to Epcot.  This is our first time to Disney and we're super excited!