Leanne Smith

Recommendations for offsite hotels, timeshares, rentals, etc.

89 posts in this topic

We've decided to stay at  Homewood Suites for $109.32 tax included per.  The draw for us was the spacious room and kitchen area, so we have to option to cook.   It does offer Disney shuttle to Epcot.  This is our first time to Disney and we're super excited!

Christine, does it offer shuttle to other parks, too? Or just to Epcot? You can get from Epcot to Disney's Ticket and Transportation Center via the monorail, then get to wherever you need to go from there, but it will be more convenient if their shuttle goes to the other parks (and Downtown Disney), too.

Warmly,

Dianna

Does anyone here have recommendations for campgrounds? We have stayed at Disney's Fort Wilderness, but it's pretty expensive. We are interested in off-site RV parks. Thanks. :)

Stephanie, we had a lot of campers last year. I'll ask them to come here and share their recommendations.

Warmly,
Dianna

Does anyone here have recommendations for campgrounds? We have stayed at Disney's Fort Wilderness, but it's pretty expensive. We are interested in off-site RV parks. Thanks. :)

There are two that I have heard of from the disboards.com.  They are Tropical Palms Resort and Turkey Lake.  We have thought of staying there but ruled them out for the following reasons.  By the time we paid parking at the parks each day Tropical Palms would cost as much as Fort Wilderness.  Turkey Lake is run by the City of Orlando and the rate was $8.00 a night (I am not sure what it is now.).  Turkey Lake is a drive from the parks and it does fill up quickly. 

I am not sure if I have been helpful.  I know these parks were recommended a lot on the disboards.com under Camping at Disney World.

Shelley

1 person likes this

Someone from my Facebook community replied: Stayed at the KOA campground 20 minutes from Disney. Loved it they had great cabins, a pond to paddle boat, a nice restaurant.

Shelley, that's a good point about the parking fee. I think it's still $14 per day for 2013, but may go up before our dates (if they increase prices, it's usually in early fall, from what I've noticed).

Families won't have to pay for parking on the day of their educational program at the park where you'll be attending the program. If you go to another park after the program, you'll have to pay for parking. You'll receive a confirmation for your program, and it waives the parking fee.

1 person likes this

Shifra, from Facebook, says:

I'm on my phone and can't comment on the forum.... But I just wanted to assure your readers that we have done many Disney trips, twice with Carolina Homeschooler (best value by far!!!). We have stayed on property and off property. As long as your expectations are reasonable, your trip will be just as successful, regardless of where you stay. The last two trips we took with Carolina Homeschooler, we rented condos off property, with multiple bedrooms, full kitchen, multiple bathrooms, and resort style pools. The money we saved by staying off property allowed us to stay longer (our last trip was two full weeks, with activities every day). We had people over to our condo for random meals and we loved every minute of our trip. Carolina Homeschooler is an unbelievable value, with incredible families, and great classes for the kids. I highly recommend!!!!

1 person likes this

Three years ago I stayed at Bonnet Creek for a Disney girl's trip.  It was in November and we paid $70 a night for a two bedroom condo.  One Mom found it on a vacation rental site or timeshare site.  Bonnet Creek is as close to the parks as an on-property hotel.  They have transportation but I believe they charge a small fee for this service now.  There is a thread on the disboards.com with pictures.  It was really nice with a washer/dryer in the condo.  We made breakfast, took pb&j for lunch to the parks, and crockpot meals for dinner. 

WooHoo! Just rented our condo for Disney. Got an awesome deal and hoping to share with a friend but if not it is still in my budget. 4 bdrm/3Bath (2 master ensuites) with it's own private hot tub for $89 a night and every 7 days gets a night free. So I'm getting 16 nights for the price of 14. Doing the happy dance. http://www.sweethomevacation.com

2 people like this

Hawaiianatheart - I think you got an awesome deal! I've checked the website a couple of times since you posted and haven't found anything close to that!

I think we just got a pretty great deal for a 3BR Deluxe at Wyndham Bonnet Creek through www.vacationstrategy.com - $1257 for 9 nights - all taxes, fees, etc. included. I still plan to re-check prices, especially on redweek.com and ebay, as we get closer, because I can cancel without penalty up to 20 days in advance. I know the 1 and 2 BRs can be a LOT less expensive because there are so many of them. However, we needed the 3BRs + pull-out sofa and there isn't as large an inventory.

Now, I know there are better deals out there - but for us and our dates, needs, and proximity to Disney, this is a great fit. And, if anyone else is hoping to rent at Bonnet Creek, I wanted to recommend Vacation Strategy as a good place to start, esp. if you need a 3BR. 

On a similar note, I've been looking at houses and getting quotes, and I can't believe how much more expensive the rates have been compared to 2 years ago! Has anyone else having the same experience? 

Anyway, hopefully, this will help someone! :D

Robin

For the record now that we are here and actually checked out the condo. I HIGHLY recommend it!!!! We used www.sweethomevacation.com and are at their Coral Cay Condo's. We also have either very quiet neighbors or they did good sound proofing between units too. :)

Edited by hawaiianatheart
1 person likes this

hawiianatheart,

How long did it take to get to MK?

How long did it take to get to Epcot?

How long did it take to get to DS?

How long did it take to get to AK?

Morning vs night  how long did it take?

What about coming back at lunch time, did you do that and how long did it take?

Thanks

To Robin or anyone else;

What do you think of staying at Bonnet Creek?  How long did it take to get to MK and the other places?

And actually more important question for us is:  on the disboards they only have a shuttle schedule for Sept 2010 - It says they only have one noon time return and it is from MK.  Do they have any other returns from the park at around noon  to put the little ones down for an early afternoon nap?

Thanks Tammy

I would love to hear any reviews of staying off property from all you that just got  back so we can plan for 2014.

My husband and I are leaning toward the Dolphin, but if the older children plus us would like to do Universal and Seaworld I don't want to be paying Disney prices.  I wish we could do those places on our second week off site of Disney, or can we with the discounted prices?

My husband and I are leaning toward the Dolphin, but if the older children plus us would like to do Universal and Seaworld I don't want to be paying Disney prices.  I wish we could do those places on our second week off site of Disney, or can we with the discounted prices?

SeaWorld would have to be a specific date during the week (Thursday, I think, but don't hold me to that) because they require me to choose one day for the whole group. Universal dates will be a little more flexible and can extend a little before and after our dates (although once you use the ticket, the second day must be used within 7 days of first use). If you do the educational tour, one day must be used for that. I'll be able to confirm dates for SeaWorld and Universal later. I have to get Disney settled first. :)

The Dolphin has become our favorite hotel for many reasons - the location is one of the best at Disney, the frequency of transportation, the service, etc.

Warmly,

Dianna

Hi Tammy!

Just like the Dis thread, we loooooooved Bonnet Creek! We stayed in a 3BR and it was very spacious. It was relatively quiet, but maybe that is because it was relatively empty? We did have a noise issue with a neighbor, but it was quickly, easily, and amicably resolved. (They had a CD player playing music for their young child at night, and apparently it was right next to the wall that joined our bedroom. I let them know via a nice note, and they moved it.) Beds were comfy; appliances, cookware, and utensils were all like new.

The property is beautiful. It reminds me of Coronado Springs resort, if you've ever been there. Travel times were fantastic!

You specifically asked about the shuttle, and I'm afraid I can't help you with that. We drove down, so we were able to drive to the parks. From what I've read on the Dis, it seems that if WBC has a draw-back, it may be the shuttle. The shuttle fee can be expensive. I believe the shuttle offers more service than what you are seeing.

As additional info, we rented through Vacation Strategy. It was simple and efficient. They probably aren't the cheapest, but they are fAr from the most expensive. To get the best deals you really need to wait for the 60 day out deals. But since we needed a 3BR, and WBC doesn't hAve a lot of them, I wanted the peace of mind of reserving early.

I hope that helps, and if I can answer any other questions let me know!

We stayed at the Nickelodeon Resort this year and stayed on site the previous year. After this trip we realized that it definitely has it's perks to stay on site, the major one is transportation whenever we need it with very little hassle.

This yea off site at the Nickelodeon Resort, we were only about 8 minutes away from each park. Parking was $15 and the good this about it is that you can park hop with the parking. As long as you pay for parking for that day, you can park at any of the other park for free.

Our resort also had transportation as set times, about two in the Am, afternoon and two-three times in the evening. The times though didn't line up with what we had in plan so driving was our best option.

The next time we go though we are staying on site for that reason alone. It makes it so much more convienent and you also get special times in the park prior or post regular park times. One night my husband and youngest on stayed at MK until 11:30pm. No wait times on the rides and lived every minute on it. For that trip we went in the beginning of December.

Robin,  Thanks for responding!  You have confirmed everything everyone on Disboards has said- and I feel like I kinda know you from following this board!  :)  Thanks for taking the time to write all the tid bits, some of them were new.  I did contact Ken and got a price for a 3 bedroom for $180/night and a 4 bedroom for $250/night.  I also asked about the shuttle and he informed me that it was no longer free as of Feb 2013 as it was costing them a ton of money. 

My husband (and I and the older girls don't want to have to use a car to go back and forth unless we have to)  So we are pretty sure for this trip we will fork the money out.   (as long as all goes well)  We just had our tenth baby.  He will be 10 mths old when we go in September, so paying the extra money this year would be more convenient to stay on Disney property.  We just don't get to go as often as we would want because it costs so much.  If we spent less money we would probably be able to go sooner.  We always go back to the room around noon to put the little ones in for naps and everyone else goes to the pool.  It is also nice to get out of the mid day heat in September!!  We find that it breaks the day up and it avoids anyone getting edgy from the heat and being tired.  We are early morning people and enjoy the early extra magic hours, so we are ready for a respite.  So, going back and forth everyday to the room is much more convenient with Disney transportation.  Also, we have a wide spread of ages therefore the Disney transportation is crucial!  So we love Disney, but are not able to go as often as we would like.  Maybe once we get away from the nap days we will try Bonnet Creek...but we still love going back to the resort during mid day despite the youngest ones!   They are just our cover! lol

Thanks Kristi for replying.  Your post was so true!  You summed up what we already know and my husband keeps saying...I just am trying to talk ourselves into something for less so we can go sooner!  :)

Tammy,

Congrats on your new addition! I have to say, I cannot even BEGIN to imagine how much it costs for your family to go to Disney!!!

When we got back from Disney, I noticed that Vacation Strategy was advertising DVC properties! I never saw that before we went, so maybe it's something new they are trying. One week stays for AK, OKW, WL, SSR, and CR were as low as $1,800 for a 2BR! Of course, the price varied a bit based on the week. Have you considered renting points for a DVC?

Hawaiinheart,

After staying there, do you still highly recommend the place you stayed?

I also posted questions on this page, I was wondering if you could answer.

Thanks in advance.

Wohoo!! Just booked two weeks (2/2b condo) there for $39/night plus tax & fees! They are remodeling their large pool the month of September and rates are super low! Some had $199/week rates. With those prices we decided to extend the week out to two to take full advantage of the seven passes and be able to do Disney less expensively and less rush! Super excited. Now I just need to book our tickets. :) 

We have rented houses at Windsor Hills for 2 of our 3 carolina disney trips and have been very happy there....have fun!

1 person likes this