Photo

Recommendations for offsite hotels, timeshares, rentals, etc.

off-disney hotels disney

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 Leanne Smith

Leanne Smith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

I looked that hotel up and it doesn't look familiar to me at all but accept s a lot discounts..maybe on " the dis"

#42 zbugz

zbugz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

Has anyone ever stayed at Drury Inn and Suites?  It's showing as the #1 ranked hotel in Orlando on TripAdvisor.  It looks pretty good at first glance, with complimentary hot and cold breakfast every morning; complimentary evening appetizers/snacks including chicken tenders, pasta, etc... ; and free popcorn and soda throughout the day in the lobby.  I'm thinking that that would cut down on my food budget immensely!   

However, I've never heard of this hotel before, and I am toying with the idea of staying off-site on this trip and adding a few extra days instead.  

We have stayed at Drury Inn & Suites many times at several locations throughout the country and loved them.  Their perks make it really worthwhile.  The rooms have always been very quiet and comfortable.

#43 autm_brze

autm_brze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

Does anyone know if any of the hotels or resorts have a mid-day shuttle?

#44 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,413 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

Does anyone know if any of the hotels or resorts have a mid-day shuttle?

Some schedule only morning and evening shuttles, but others run them several times a day. Disney transportation is continuous (until an hour after the parks close, I think). The websites of the off-site hotels/resorts should have their shuttle schedules posted for you to compare.

Warmly,

Dianna

#45 Kristi Kaminski-Paraday

Kristi Kaminski-Paraday

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

We went this year in December but not with this group. We stayed off site for two days while we net to Legoland at the Mystic Dunes Resort. We use a groupon and got a good deal through them. We had a one bedroom, king size bed with jacuzzi, a pull out couch and full size bathroom, a kitchen. They had a clubhouse and many pools that we can use. Although they do not provide a shuttle to Disney that no know of. We loved being able to go out to eat and bring the rest home to eat at a later time. We purchased groupons for two local restaurants one being Giordano's which we love, brought it back and we had plenty to eat for the next day. We are currently thinking about staying off site this time around as we'll.

We then stayed on site for 4 night at the Caribbean Resort and loved it but the room seems a little small and not worth what we thought it should have been. Sure it had its perk like not driving our car around for those days but we barely spent anytime in the room and probably could have saved more off the resort.

#46 Kristi Kaminski-Paraday

Kristi Kaminski-Paraday

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:50 AM

For those of you looking into off site hotels/resorts. The Nickelodeon Suites Resort has rooms for a nightly average of $74 a night. That is if you book under "Stay 6 and Save" option. This is a Delux 2 bedroom themed suite King/Bunk room, (With the Deluxe 2-Bedroom Themed Suite option, your kids can vacation with their favorite Nickelodeon characters. The Deluxe 2-Bedroom suite features two bedrooms, a master bedroom for parents with a king size bed which includes a door for privacy, and a semi-private Nickelodeon themed kids’ room with their own bunk beds and television. The living area has room to relax with a 32” flat screen TV, wireless internet, a bathroom, and a kitchenette with a microwave and mini fridge. Including the pullout sleeper sofa, there is enough room for six people to sleep. (485 square feet with a maximum occupancy of 6 guests) Free scheduled transportation to all Disney Theme Parks, free parking, free wifi, free onsite entertainment/waterpark. You can book all 7 nights for just a little over $800.

#47 Amanda Dellinger Mohammed

Amanda Dellinger Mohammed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

Kristi how was the transportation to Disney from The Nickelodeon Suites Resort? It doesn't give a schedule and just says it is first come first served. How was your experience?

#48 Kristi Kaminski-Paraday

Kristi Kaminski-Paraday

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

I do not know. This will be our first time going there but all the reviews are good and didn't really hear anything bad. If you are worried about transportation you can always park in downtown Disney for free and take the shuttles to where you want to go. They do not check any ID on the shuttles.

#49 Amanda Dellinger Mohammed

Amanda Dellinger Mohammed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

My only concern is that I want to be able to get back to the room midday to lay the babies down. I called Nickelodeon Suites Resort and the transport schedule was not out for November yet. The lady I spoke with said she could only tell me what they had available now and last month. So it looked like the return shuttles were 2:20, 4:20, 6:20 and 8:20 or so on. I'll keep looking. I wish onsite wasn't so pricey, I'll figure it out.

#50 christine789

christine789

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

We've decided to stay at  Homewood Suites for $109.32 tax included per.  The draw for us was the spacious room and kitchen area, so we have to option to cook.   It does offer Disney shuttle to Epcot.  This is our first time to Disney and we're super excited!

#51 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,413 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:22 PM

We've decided to stay at  Homewood Suites for $109.32 tax included per.  The draw for us was the spacious room and kitchen area, so we have to option to cook.   It does offer Disney shuttle to Epcot.  This is our first time to Disney and we're super excited!

Christine, does it offer shuttle to other parks, too? Or just to Epcot? You can get from Epcot to Disney's Ticket and Transportation Center via the monorail, then get to wherever you need to go from there, but it will be more convenient if their shuttle goes to the other parks (and Downtown Disney), too.

Warmly,
Dianna

#52 Aunt Stepody

Aunt Stepody

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

Does anyone here have recommendations for campgrounds? We have stayed at Disney's Fort Wilderness, but it's pretty expensive. We are interested in off-site RV parks. Thanks. :)

#53 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,413 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

Stephanie, we had a lot of campers last year. I'll ask them to come here and share their recommendations.

Warmly,
Dianna

#54 the5coops

the5coops

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

Does anyone here have recommendations for campgrounds? We have stayed at Disney's Fort Wilderness, but it's pretty expensive. We are interested in off-site RV parks. Thanks. :)

There are two that I have heard of from the disboards.com.  They are Tropical Palms Resort and Turkey Lake.  We have thought of staying there but ruled them out for the following reasons.  By the time we paid parking at the parks each day Tropical Palms would cost as much as Fort Wilderness.  Turkey Lake is run by the City of Orlando and the rate was $8.00 a night (I am not sure what it is now.).  Turkey Lake is a drive from the parks and it does fill up quickly. 

I am not sure if I have been helpful.  I know these parks were recommended a lot on the disboards.com under Camping at Disney World.

Shelley

• Dianna likes this

#55 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,413 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

Someone from my Facebook community replied: Stayed at the KOA campground 20 minutes from Disney. Loved it they had great cabins, a pond to paddle boat, a nice restaurant.

#56 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,413 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

Shelley, that's a good point about the parking fee. I think it's still $14 per day for 2013, but may go up before our dates (if they increase prices, it's usually in early fall, from what I've noticed).

Families won't have to pay for parking on the day of their educational program at the park where you'll be attending the program. If you go to another park after the program, you'll have to pay for parking. You'll receive a confirmation for your program, and it waives the parking fee.

• the5coops likes this

#57 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,413 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

Shifra, from Facebook, says:

I'm on my phone and can't comment on the forum.... But I just wanted to assure your readers that we have done many Disney trips, twice with Carolina Homeschooler (best value by far!!!). We have stayed on property and off property. As long as your expectations are reasonable, your trip will be just as successful, regardless of where you stay. The last two trips we took with Carolina Homeschooler, we rented condos off property, with multiple bedrooms, full kitchen, multiple bathrooms, and resort style pools. The money we saved by staying off property allowed us to stay longer (our last trip was two full weeks, with activities every day). We had people over to our condo for random meals and we loved every minute of our trip. Carolina Homeschooler is an unbelievable value, with incredible families, and great classes for the kids. I highly recommend!!!!

• Janey Hathcock likes this

#58 the5coops

the5coops

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

Three years ago I stayed at Bonnet Creek for a Disney girl's trip.  It was in November and we paid $70 a night for a two bedroom condo.  One Mom found it on a vacation rental site or timeshare site.  Bonnet Creek is as close to the parks as an on-property hotel.  They have transportation but I believe they charge a small fee for this service now.  There is a thread on the disboards.com with pictures.  It was really nice with a washer/dryer in the condo.  We made breakfast, took pb&j for lunch to the parks, and crockpot meals for dinner. 

#59 hawaiianatheart

hawaiianatheart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:55 PM

WooHoo! Just rented our condo for Disney. Got an awesome deal and hoping to share with a friend but if not it is still in my budget. 4 bdrm/3Bath (2 master ensuites) with it's own private hot tub for $89 a night and every 7 days gets a night free. So I'm getting 16 nights for the price of 14. Doing the happy dance. http://www.sweethomevacation.com

• Dianna and Cheryl Hungate Best like this

#60 Robin Harrison Axelberd

Robin Harrison Axelberd

Dis-tracted mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Location'Burbs of Atlanta

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

Hawaiianatheart - I think you got an awesome deal! I've checked the website a couple of times since you posted and haven't found anything close to that!

I think we just got a pretty great deal for a 3BR Deluxe at Wyndham Bonnet Creek through www.vacationstrategy.com - $1257 for 9 nights - all taxes, fees, etc. included. I still plan to re-check prices, especially on redweek.com and ebay, as we get closer, because I can cancel without penalty up to 20 days in advance. I know the 1 and 2 BRs can be a LOT less expensive because there are so many of them. However, we needed the 3BRs + pull-out sofa and there isn't as large an inventory.

Now, I know there are better deals out there - but for us and our dates, needs, and proximity to Disney, this is a great fit. And, if anyone else is hoping to rent at Bonnet Creek, I wanted to recommend Vacation Strategy as a good place to start, esp. if you need a 3BR. 

On a similar note, I've been looking at houses and getting quotes, and I can't believe how much more expensive the rates have been compared to 2 years ago! Has anyone else having the same experience? 

Anyway, hopefully, this will help someone! :D

Robin

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: off-disney hotels, disney