Photo

Recommendations for offsite hotels, timeshares, rentals, etc.

off-disney hotels disney

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#81 sojourneys

sojourneys

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:52 AM

We always use homeaway.com or vrbo.com, for renting at Windsor Hills, Emerald, Las Vegas, NH, PA etc, but will check out these new sources...thanks Palmetto 

• Palmettosweetheart and Tara Burnett- Smith like this

#82 Tara Burnett- Smith

Tara Burnett- Smith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:06 PM

We just finished booking online through VRBO and booked Windsor Hills 3 bedroom Condo. We could not beat this price for our large family. I have never stayed here before but as some have posted here and online reviews are great. I believe they currently have rates as low as $79 a night in September if you can find one that hasn't been booked yet. So excited for this trip!!!

• Dianna likes this

#83 bless9ings

bless9ings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 26 September 2014 - 06:13 AM

We just got back Saturday, the 20th of September.  As soon as we hit ground it has been non stop trying to get our homeschooling started and all the little ones back in their routines!  I did want to share where we stayed off site to extend our stay longer to utilize the 14 day tickets.

I decided to take a gamble on Hotel Champions World Resort 8660 W Hwy 192, Kissimmee, Orlando, FL 34747.  You can see pictures on line and it looks just like the pictures display right down to the tile in the bedrooms!  Yes I said tile in the bedrooms!  Seemed weird to me, but I think that is how they keep their costs down to keep their prices low.

I booked through Hotelopia and used a coupon to get an extra 10% off my room prices.  Also Hotelopia says I can have 5 in a room!  Their own website says 4, but when I called on it, the guy I got said not a problem.  But we got two cribs.  The baby slept in the crib and the other small child was going to, but it was a little small, so we took the mattress out and put it on the floor.  Come to find out they have cots and the last night we asked for a cot and they didn't charge us extra. 

Through Hotelopia we paid $37.68/night.  Through the actual resort we paid $43.16.  One of the nights we couldn't reserve through Hotelopia.  I guess their alloted rooms to sell were gone.

They receive 3.5 rating.  When I did the survey for them, my rating came out to a 4.2.  I rated it on the value of what you got for the money you paid.  If you read their reviews they are true.  I believe people marked them down because it was an old style motel.  The rooms were clean.  The head boards were updated.  I believe not all the rooms are updated yet though.  We were able to get a free upgrade to poolside because they were not busy.  We were originally put on the back side, but then I asked if we could be in front of the playground which is off to the side of the pool.  The beds are were the rating falls.  They were mediocre.  Not like the Dolphin!!!  But I have had much worse beds at the Days Inn.  To me this is were the price difference comes in...the bed!  I slept fine.  The beds were just doable enough, but not extra nice like the resorts you pay money for.  Everything else though was excellent...that is why they got a high score from me.  The hospitality of the people was excellent!  The grounds were beautiful and meticulous!  There service believe it or not was better in some ways then the Dolphin or at least just as good.  Their housekeeping service was better than the Dolphin.  But the Dolphin rooms were much nicer and the beds were what you would expect for the price!  Maybe we just had housekeepers at the Dolphin who didn't go out of their way.  They did a better job on our room then our children's.  The housekeepers at Champions Resort had southern hospitality style.  They were there to serve and please.  At the Dolphin I saw quite a few that didn't speak English.  Every morning at the Champions Resort we got seashells made up of towels in the bathroom and they did a great job of maid service!  The Dolphin mainly just concentrated on the freshly made beds and clean bathroom.  I was surprised they didn't make the kids beds special with their blankets and stuffed animals.  Some mornings they did in our room, but not in the other kids room.  The last day at the Dolphin in our kids room they took all the kids blankets and I think extra pillows and dumped them on the cot and left the cot unmade!  I couldn't believe it when my oldest daughter told me.  I told her they must have forgotten!  She was not happy that her bed was dumped on and unmade!!!

Well just wanted to give another option for frugal families who want to stay off site.

What would we do next time?  We all talked about it.  I need to give you some back ground information.  We have stayed two other times at Disney.  Once at Wilderness Lodge and the last time at the Beach Club.  We stayed in deluxes because my parents went with us and my mom would only stay in a deluxe.  We do not like offsite!  If we have to Champions Resort is a good, inexpensive place and I would stay for the first night still and maybe for extra nights to extend the stay again.  It all depends on the budget.  But we really prefer onsite and a Disney resort.  My husband actually said he would try Port Orleans Riverside next time over the Dolphin. (we tried it one night on one of our stays and he didn't like it.  He said it is too spread out.)  Why?  Mainly because we all missed the Disney hospitality!  My oldest did not like the convention feel at the Dolphin, the lack of Disney hospitality and the longer walk to Epcot then from the Beach Club. (she just turned 21 - this was her 4th time onsite at Disney)  She would rather go down in Disney accomodations and use the buses then stay at the Dolphin again.

I didn't mention, the Champions resort is only about 6 miles from Disney.  It took 15 minutes at the most to get there.  It was quick and easy.  I guess there property is actually only 2. something miles from part of Disney property, but it takes longer because of the road system and where you go in.  There is a Publix right down the street and a Walmart about 5 minutes up the road.  I found a Subway down the street too!  I also did not mention that they have a bigger size refrigerator in the room and a microwave and as you can see in the picture a small 4 person table and chairs.  They also have FREE shuttle service to WDW.  But it is not great in my opinion for time selections.  They only go to Epcot and MK.  They go in the morning and late evening and I think once late afternoon or around 7?  The times in the morning do not accomodate early people.  The put you there around 9 or so and 9:30 am?  If anyone wants to know I can look it up on my schedule that I have, but ask soon before it gets filed away.

If anyone has questions feel free to ask.  It is such a big decision to go and where to stay and how much money the budget has.  :)

• skdrennan likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: off-disney hotels, disney