• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cato

cato

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:23 AM

Hey I am new to this. I actually have a daughter enrolled w/ a online public school for 5k. Im seriously thinking of switching to homeschool. Im already stressed with the schedule, attendance, number of hours (4 hours a day= 20 hrs a week) each day that need to be checked.   I feel... I mine as well just send her to pubic school at least she would get a recess and other extra activities. I do have field trips planned with CH b/c socializing is important to us. I had such high hopes, but don't wanna give up yet. I didn't know if any of you had any advice or suggestions?? I was told by a friend about Time For Learning?

Thank You:)

• Lori Johnson Mitchell likes this

#2 Lori Johnson Mitchell

Lori Johnson Mitchell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

I abhorred online schooling it is very overwhelming! I switched to ACE www.aceministries.com. We love it. Good luck finding what you love. BTW, we tried 2 other things before landing here.

#3 Lori Johnson Mitchell

Lori Johnson Mitchell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

My daughter did time4learning in k3. It was okay. Finding a curriculum that works for you is a trial and error. What works for you may not work for someone else. What works for someone else may not work for you. We enjoyed lap books but again that has a lot of parent prep work.

#4 Brandi Perkins

Brandi Perkins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

Depends on how your kids learn and what type of school you want. Do you want something traditional or something more relaxed? Do you want online or books?

#5 Ellen English Pillar

Ellen English Pillar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:20 PM

We use a very relaxed approach to Kindergarten. "Five in a Row", Rod & Staff workbooks, Getting Ready for the Code workbooks. We use Math-U-See, starting Alpha in Kindergarten. Four hours of instruction a day in K is just ridiculous. We can get it all done in less than 2 hours a day and still cover way more than a public school class. My suggestion is to take a deep breath and relax, K should be a fun time where you start to learn about your child's learning style and interests.
  • cato likes this

#6 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,421 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:33 PM

Here are other resources for K4 (her daughter is on the cusp of K4 and K5, in SC, she'd be considered K4 since she doesn't turn 5 until Sept. 1):

Before Five in a Row - a literature program for ages 2-4:

http://fiveinarow.co...-five-in-a-row/

Math U See (Primer level) - a math program for K4:

http://store.mathuse...al-math/primer/

Lots of read-alouds, museums, zoos, educational television, ETV Discovery streaming (SC homeschoolers get it free), etc.

Warmly,

Dianna

#7 Guyader

Guyader

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:20 PM

I'm in SC also.... I started my daughter a few years ago with SCVCS which uses the K-12 online school for kindergarten.... And I became the parent that fought with the school and wrote many letters.... ~~~ Half way through I pulled my daughter out of the program and I continue to homeschool... BUT... I loved the program sooo much... That I purchased it on my own. (Not with the teach cost.) When you purchase on your own... you go at your own pace and such. The curriculum is NOT timed. And I spend $1,200 a year.... But I still have everything at home. ~~~We're lovin' it...!!  I know friends that also did Connections Academy.... I found their program to be a bit behind in the Language Arts, and much more computer based....  ~~~ If anything... the experience gave me confidence that I can homeschool.... ~~~ And the K-12 program is so Mommy friendly too.

#8 chinclub

chinclub

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationWalterboro, SC

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:52 PM

Virtual school can be tough at first.  That is what we do.  Which virtual school are you with?

#9 cato

cato

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

Thanks for all the info.! Yes I do think learning should be fun and RELAXED especially when they are so young. 4 Hours a day is crazy, I so agree! So we did switch! Im sure on line school is fine for some, just deadlines and schedules made me nervous and thats one of the reasons I wanted to do schooling at home for its flexiblity... not just with time but her learning as well. I have materials on its way.So shes excited....Yay! :)

#10 chinclub

chinclub

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationWalterboro, SC

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

That is great!

#11 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,421 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:47 PM

Toni, let us know if you need help getting started once your materials arrive. But remember - no stress this year. You don't even have to document as SC law requires because she's doesn't turn 5 before 9/1/13. If you want to, that's fine, but if it's getting in the way of her learning, skip it.

Warmly,
Dianna

#12 kohlby

kohlby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:08 PM

We didn't do anything for kindy.  We unschooled and didn't worry about documentation.  You don't have to homeschool until the year after your child turns 6 by Sept 1st - so that's first grade.  If you don't use one of the three options, then you sign a waiver to get out of kindy.  It means absolutely no stress this way!  You could still use a curriculum if you wished, which is looks like you're doing - but it would be so much more relaxing if you didn't have to worry about documentation.  We're option 3'ers and love it.  I do have to document but starting in first grade, it's what I'd want to document anyway.  It took one of my kids an hour a day in first grade and the other 1.5 hours total.  They learned an incredible amount too - more than they would have learned at public school and we have an excellent public elem school by us.