Jump to content


Looking for some advice; Moving from Texas to SC

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Joelene Lowenberg

Joelene Lowenberg


  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:15 AM

Hi Everyone! 


My name is Joelene. My husband, 2 children, and I are in transition and on our way to Greer, SC. I have several questions about the homeschool laws and how to transition from one state to another. If anyone is able to help me out and just chit chat with me for a bit i'd really appreciate it! 


From what i've gathered so far, Option #3 is more lenient (almost like Texas) and will give us a bit more freedom when it comes to the curriculum. However, i can't figure out if i have to abide by a specific curriculum type or if it has to be approved. In Texas, i incorporated Easy Peasy. I'd just like to make sure i can still use that. 


Also, since my son isn't enrolled in any school district yet in SC, do i still have to go tell them we will be homeschooling? 


Thank you in advance for any advice and info you can give me! I really appreciate it!



#2 Dianna



  • Administrators
  • 2,715 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

Welcome to our community, Joelene! :)


Most 3rd Option associations don't approve curriculum, but some do, so be sure to ask questions of those you're interested in joining before you apply. For those who don't approve curriculum, you may use any resources you want (including field trips, educational television, good books, etc.).


The association you join may have their own procedures regarding whether you should inform the local district of your homeschooling status.


I think you'll like homeschooling here. It's not as easy as Texas, but not bad once you get the hang of things.




#3 kohlby


    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:13 PM

Agree that you can use any curriculum you want.  The accountability groups don't have the exact same rules, but many are fairly laidback.  I do need to document the five core subjects for a minimum of 180 days.  So, though it doesn't matter what curriculum I use - if any - it does matter that I get the subjects covered.  You don't have to notify the school district as long as you're not using any of their services.  My kids did/do speech therapy through the local public school so they did require a photocopy of a letter from the accountability group just saying I was a member.  I'm not sure if it's required if doing extracurricular activities through the public school.


*Edited to add: There is a case where you're supposed to notify.  If you have a kindergarten aged child and decide not to officially homeschool kindy nor do public/private school, then you sign a waiver.  That way, you don't have to do anything else official until the child is first grade age.  

Edited by kohlby, 21 August 2013 - 03:15 PM.

#4 Dianna



  • Administrators
  • 2,715 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

Another case is if you're withdrawing your children from public school. If you don't officially withdraw, then the students stay on their attendance records and is considered truant if they don't attend.