6 replies to this topic

#1 Christylou

Christylou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:56 AM

Hi!

We are moving to Greenville next summer. I was interested in finding out more about groups and activities that I can get my kids involved in. My first grader attends Veritas Classical School here in Memphis, but I saw that they do not have a campus in Greenville.

Any help or advice would be great!

Thanks,

Christy

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,463 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:12 PM

Hi Christy,

If you're searching for activities throughout the state, visit http://www.carolinah...om/atravel.html  

I'll also ask some Greenville-area homeschoolers to come in here and post more info for groups and activities that are in Greenville.

Warmly,

Dianna

#3 SamIam

SamIam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:20 PM

Greenville has a very active homeschooling community.

As far as a classical school, there is the Greenville Classical Academy.  They follow the university-model for upper levels, meaning your child goes to class 2-3 days a week, and does work at home the rest of the time.  They also offer ala-carte classes for homeschoolers, though is all for upper levels.  The elementary levels do the regular Mon-Fri schedule.

There's many co-ops too, if that is of any interest to you.  Upstate Homeschool Co-op is a big one.  HOPE co-op is another one that is pretty popular.  There are other smaller ones as well.  And of course, Classical Conversations co-op are aplenty round here.  One on every block, it seems :).

There's also a few "tutorial" type campuses...meaning they are not co-ops in the sense that parents do not have to participate..meaning it's more of a drop-off situation.  Artios Academy, and Vanguard Homeschool Academy come to mind.

Rock climbing classes, First Tee golf classes, Lego building classes, horse riding classes, Homeschool P.E., Band, Dance classes, Archery team, Rollerskating Days, Ice Skating days, Sports teams, Choir, Art classes...etc etc...all of these and more are offered  in classes that are just for homeschoolers.

There are many support groups that are just for "fun" and gathering together, that do not require co-op style participation.  FCHome is a group on Yahoo that is helpful in terms of getting information...though they don't gather together often.   Upstate Field Trip Friends is a Facebook group that is VERY active...field trips several times a month (you pick and choose the ones you want to go on), park days etc.  The sister group to that is the Upstate Playdates (for Homeschoolers), again on Facebook.

We also have TWO homeschool-oriented book stores in the area.   Lifelong Learning Resources is a homeschool store in the Lyman area.  Learning Cycle is a new store, that is based on consignment...so used curriculum.  

Let me know if you have any more questions.

• Dianna and stephmcgrath like this

#4 swright953

swright953

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:50 PM

Christy,

We moved here four years ago and began homeschooling last year. This is a wonderful city in which to raise a family, and all the things Samlam mentioned are exactly the ones I would have pointed out. There is wonderful support for homeschoolers here. My Sophomore attends Upstate Homeschool Co-Op for an Algebra II Honors class and I can tell you that it is the best-run, most professional school organization I have ever encountered. They go out of their way to be helpful and welcoming. If your kids are into sports, South Carolina allows them to participate at the public school where they would go if they weren't homeschooled. As another alternative, there is a large, well-managed sports group called the Greenville Hurricanes, which has everything from football to soccer and volleyball. Any Homeschooler can join, regardless of accountability organization.

Pretty much anything your children want to be involved in offers a homeschool option. You can find gymnastics, art classes, the YMCA downtown has a weekly gym & swim class for homeschoolers that's very inexpensive and open to non-members. The zoo has homeschool classes (better for younger kids), and so does Roper Mountain Science Center (good through about middle school).

Samlam mentioned Greenville Classical Academy, but Classical Conversations also has groups here. The State Museum is only about an hour away in Columbia and has homeschool Fridays and homeschoolers get in free except on weekends. Riverbanks Zoo has homeschool days, too.

I often use the bookstore in Lyman...great selection and prices! They're. Very helpful and willing to share what they know of you're researching a particular curriculum.

We look forward to having you in Greenville! Do reply with other questions you have.
  • Dianna likes this

#5 Laura Launius

Laura Launius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:19 PM

I don't know if this is similar to the school your dc attend, but I remembered receiving info that Veritas Prep was opening this fall -- here is a link:  http://www.veritasgr...om/index/f-a-q/

We too are in the G'ville area but we use Easley Home Educators because we prefer to only use outside sources for  enrichment, social activities, extra-curriculars, etc as opposed to core or elective classes.  You will find the upstate very homeschool friendly with a great many activities and organizations to be involved with.

• Dianna likes this

#6 Christylou

Christylou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

Thank you all so much for your help! I am so excited about everything you all mentioned! My son was especially excited to hear about a Lego building class hehe ;)

Christy

#7 stephmcgrath

stephmcgrath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationGreenville, SC

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:03 PM

I just posted about Greenville co-ops / resources and then found this post. Great info, thank you!

Stephanie