• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TaylorsMom

TaylorsMom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:12 PM

I am new to homeschooling- my daughter is in 1st grade and we started a week ago-has anyone used the A Beka curriculum?

#2 Christylou

Christylou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:46 PM

Yes, I used A beka for kindergarten and I am currently using it for first grade as well :)

#3 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,609 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:21 AM

I've never used it. If you choose this curriculum, remember that it's developed for classroom use and teachers can pick and choose what material they want to use with their students. Individual homeschooling families don't have to complete every page, every worksheet, and/or every test. Make it fit your student instead of your student fit it (the publishers don't know your student, you do!).

Whenever I get an email about homeschool burnout/dropout, it's usually because the family is using a "school-in-a-box" curriculum (like A Beka and others) and is trying to make their student(s) fit it, instead of the other way around.

Warmly,

Dianna

#4 Laura Launius

Laura Launius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

I used it when we first began our homeschool journey.  My dd (a Sr this year) used through probably their 5th grade level in LA and Math -- she did K and 1st in one year though so she would have been 9 when we stopped.  While it fit her in the beginning and we added in lots of wonderful living books it didn't fit my boys learning styles.  We stopped when dd picked up her new 6th grade math book -- looked through it -- preceded to throw it across the room and proclaimed loudly, "If I ever see another Abeka Math book I'll scream!"  This from my sweet, quiet, go with the flow, good at math child made me realize it was time to switch :)  She still cringes when the word "Abeka" is uttered!  But, everyone's style is different -- just don't be afraid to change if needed. 

#5 Donna Palinkas Donato

Donna Palinkas Donato

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationWaxhaw, NC

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:06 AM

When I started this venture of homeschooling, I started with the pre-school 4's Abeka, as a trail for homeschooling, figuring how can I screw up preschool, right??  We watched the "classroom" Mrs. Wasser taught everyday - for about 2.5 months.  As this was my first try at this and not knowing what to do, I didn't want to be the teacher.  My daughter was reading chapter books by Thanksgiving.  We also ditched the classroom videos and continued the books on our own at our own pace.  I loved the program!!!!!  It gave me the confidence to continue homeschooling.  I did the kindergaden curriculum with Abeka as well but no classroom videos.  I now am with a CC group in Waxhaw and love that!  But Mrs. Wasser was GREAT and she gave us the best teaching with learning the basics of reading and writing.  In the first grade my daughter tested at 11 grade level for vocabulary and reading.