#1 MirandaDeBosco

MirandaDeBosco

Level 25 Coffee Maker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCoastal SC

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:07 PM

Last week the baby dragons and I were hit with a severe cold that the CDC really should tag as Plague. While they bounced back from it in just a few days I am *STILL* sitting here feeling miserable. The kids have missed almost a week's worth of learning and it makes me curious at to what all the other HS parents do in these cases.

So how do you all deal with returning from "sick days"? Do you try to parcel out the missed work over the next few days? Do you start from where you left off and make it up during a holiday? 

Curiously,

Miranda 

"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost." -Martha Graham

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,171 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

Hi Miranda,

Welcome to our community, and I hope you feel better soon! :)

I usually don't worry about "making up" sick days since we have all year to document our 180 days (my year runs from June 1 to May 31). My philosophy is that we learn 365 days a year, but have to document 180 of them. Since I don't usually feel like documenting when I (or the children are sick), I'd rather wait until we're well again.

Warmly,

Dianna

• MirandaDeBosco likes this

#3 Laura Launius

Laura Launius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:44 AM

We just pick up where we left off and over the years I've learned not to stress about it.  Like Dianna said, our learning takes place 365 days a year.

I will say that things can get  a little trickier w/ high school kiddos.  Last year my dd had surgery, months of PT, then very sick from a med she was placed on it did mean in the end that we covered some school in the summer and some on weekends but it was an extreme case that hopefully we'll never face again w/ our dc. 

My dc have had the opportunity to spend parts of several school years with grandparents who were on their final journey.  While we tried to cover basics most days during that time -- meaning math, LA, reading and I did read alouds w/ them -- school was time spent w/ family, school was helping and offering assistance to someone in need, school was meeting Dr's and nurses, school was visiting w/ people who stopped by to spend maybe one last visit w/ grandma or grandpa.  If my dc had been in public school there is so much busy work that would have needed to be made up -- but because we homeschool life was our lesson and believe me they learned so much more and talk about those experiences more than any textbook they would have read.

• Dianna likes this