9 replies to this topic

#1 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,423 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:24 AM

I'm thinking about offering a short (several weeks) beginner writing course for students ages 9-12 (for now... will offer for older students next). It would be for students who don't like to write, and have never written anything, or really struggle to get anything written. Would you be interested in such a course?

I've done online writing courses in the past, and the students seemed to enjoy it (almost as much as the parents did when they saw their children writing). I would like to offer it free for students of members who are active members of this new community. I may offer it to others later, but want to start out slow until my other responsibilities settle down a little.

Would you be interested? If so, post a reply here and let me know.

Warmly,

Dianna

#2 Janiece Tobey

Janiece Tobey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:49 AM

My son did one of your writing classes before and really enjoyed it!  If you do another one for older kids, we might be interested!

#3 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,423 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

Janiece, I'll definitely do one for older students. I'm thinking of doing shorter (maybe week-long) classes that feature different writing skills, and for different ages, so everyone's covered. I could try it and see. If it doesn't work, I can reevaluate.

Warmly,

Dianna

#4 MicheleMarie

MicheleMarie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationWake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

Hi Dianna,

I have just become a member of this community.  I have two boys, 9 and 10, who fit the type of students you are looking for beginner writers.  I have never done an online class before and would be interested in exploring this more, whether now or another time if it would be more appropriate.  I live in Wake Forest, NC.  Thank you!

Blessings,

Michele

#5 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,423 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

Hi Michele, as soon as I finish this workshop, I'll offer another one for new members, so just keep an eye on the Online Classes and Workshops forum for another announcement. In the meantime, feel free to post in the different forums to get the hang of things.

Edited to add: the classes are conducted in private forums. Only the students and parents in the classes can see them. However, they're just like these message boards.

Warmly,

Dianna

• Lorietta Purpura likes this

#6 Lilynkikismommy

Lilynkikismommy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationMount Pleasant, SC

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:02 PM

My girls would love it too!
Diane B
Diane Barnett

#7 fourbluesapphires

fourbluesapphires

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:00 PM

Mine too

#8 Lindsay Gassner Wilson

Lindsay Gassner Wilson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:47 PM

I would definitely like for Lucas (boy, age 9) to try this!

#9 charlestonpanic

charlestonpanic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:47 PM

HI Dianna,

If you decide to do another beginner's writing course we would like to participate.  Anytime this month or February works well for our schedule.

If anyone is looking for an online writing course (costs money) we took two Bravewriter courses in the Fall.  Grace and I both loved them.  I really enjoyed having someone else  review and comment on her writing.  She enjoyed having assignments to turn into a teacher and really enjoyed the feedback.  The instructors gave very positive, constructive feedback.  I highly recommend this site for any parents either frustrated or not secure with teaching the writing process.  Our writing experiences changed from frustrating to highly enjoyable.  http://www.bravewriter.com

Thank you,

Darci

Grace (9)

Edited by charlestonpanic, 06 January 2014 - 12:47 PM.

• SherriSC likes this

#10 Lorietta Purpura

Lorietta Purpura

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMount Pleasant SC

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:34 AM

Hi Michele, as soon as I finish this workshop, I'll offer another one for new members, so just keep an eye on the Online Classes and Workshops forum for another announcement. In the meantime, feel free to post in the different forums to get the hang of things.

Edited to add: the classes are conducted in private forums. Only the students and parents in the classes can see them. However, they're just like these message boards.

Warmly,

Dianna

I think it is wonderful that yuo are doing this! :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: writing, classes