Photo

Non Academic (artistic type) wanting to Homechool in SC - I need info and advise please.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Letitia Grace Lauer

Letitia Grace Lauer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:52 AM

Hello I am Grace,

We are military and we are moving to SC in Jan due to orders for Shaw AFB. I am new to homeschooling as a parent. Both my hubby and I were homeschooled for a few years as children. He had a not so good experiance and I had a great one. Due to the craziness of moving in the middle of the school year we are wanting to homeschool our two children in 3rd and 6th grades. They both are strait A students here in CA at the public schools (which I think are lacking), they are motivated chidren looking to be invovled in everything they possibly can, sports, arts, student government, drama, etc. I am an Artistic type to say the least. I fight with dyslexia, and I am worried about teaching my children. I need a program with the lesson plans done for me every day, to help minimalize the reading for me or that will be all I am doing 24-7 and I fear I won't be able to finish my plans for each day. Now that you know a bit about our situation I have a few questions...

My First Option K12.com  (online public school)

What we like about k12.com - I am enticed by this program because there is a teacher from the charter school that is assigned to us. I would be what they call a "learning coach". I fallow their daily lesson plans. Fallow the district's calendar for attendance. I get the state issued curiculum (wich I am not to thrilled about) for free and have to send it back at the end of the year (I believe). Seems like something we can jump into in the middle of the school year easilly during a very hard time for them, moving across country. The kids learn online thorugh lesson plans and prinout paper work I have to correct. The computer program only lets them move on if they pass each lesson quiz with 80% or higher, yet there is no waiting on other students and no "busy work" like they would get in class while they wait. I have to admit I am enticed by this opion. It removes my fears of my own disability getting in the way of my child's learning.

What I don't like about K12.com - it is publicly funded so I have no say in curiculum, it is still state issued and we still have to take the standardized testing. I will be adding a bible lesson with a basic bible study in the mornings before we log on. (something we do in the summer time anyway.) I am looking forward to having that extra time in the AM (not having to get ready to rush off to school at a certain time in the AM). We can't take field trips when ever we want (if I understand correctly) due to the fact we have to log into the program Monday - Friday for attendance. We would recieve no extra funds to pay for extra curicular activities, fieldtrips, school supplies, classroom supplies etc. In many states that I friends and family homeschool in the state gives them the funds allocated to their child's public education to help pay for curiculum and all the above activities and items. Since this is still "public school" and we get our books and such from the charter school the funds are given to the school in columbia.

I would love to hear about any programs you all know of that would also fit our situation.

Thank you all,
Grace

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:49 PM

Hi Grace,

I am in Washington DC with a group right now, but will return tomorrow. I'll try to reply then or on Tuesday. In the meantime, there are a few threads in this forum about virtual charter schooling. It may be helpful to read those in the meantime. Also, others will hopefully jump in with advice.

Warmly,
Dianna

#3 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:31 AM

Hi Grace, I'm back now from my DC trip and am getting caught up. Have you had a chance to read these previous threads?:

http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/social/topic/138-exhausted/

http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/social/topic/106-virtual-schooling-to-homeschooling/

If not, read through them to get a sense of what virtual schooling was like for other families. Also, read through the FAQs at my website:

http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/afaq.html

Then weigh the pros and cons of virtual schooling again. If you think it would work best for you, you can always try it out for a month or two and see if it works out. If not, you can switch to homeschooling then.

Let me know if you still need help after reading through the previous threads and my FAQs and I'll ask some virtual school families to pop in here to answer questions.

Warmly,

Dianna

#4 jamlinrich

jamlinrich

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:40 AM

Hi Grace.  I don't know if you've made a decision already or not.  I figured I'd share and if it helps, great, if not, no harm done.We live in Aiken, SC, across the river from Augusta, GA. I hope you are close by.  My son is in fourth grade now and is very smart and mature for his age. That is a big part of what make puclic school difficult for us. He was, so often, bored.  I pulled him out in 2nd grade from  public school and we did a year of something like K-12.  In some ways it was nice because everything was paid for but like you, I'm a free spirit and fiercely independent.  At first it was fine but after a while, I didn't like the amount of structure that didn't allow for me to do a lot of things my way and in my time.  I didn't like having to be at the computer for "classroom time" four times a week at 9am.  The big thing for me ultimately was the required, in person testing with the rest of public school kids. I felt it wasn't fair since most public schools teach, in some way, to the type of test  where I have the freedom of what I teach him and when.  I believve that the difference in that might make it so my son would perform as well as public school kids.  Although the results wouldn't matter to me personally, I feel it might skew the system against homeschoolers unfairly.  There were lots of other reasons but mainly, those types of schools are truly a step away from public school and wasn't what I was looking for. 

Since then, I have chosen my own curriculum and we do things our way and in our time.  He's doing fantastic. The one down side is that we haven't met very many people or friends.  It seems often that we are willing to commit to a friendship but when others get busy, it isn't reciprocated. Sometimes the groups are helpful but in my opinion and it is just my opinion and experience, many of the groups are quite cliquey and not as open as I hoped. It also seems there are a lot of younger children and older but not many my son's age.  So we haven't had a ton of luck meeting kindered spirits but we always keep looking.  Our family is very happy with the way things are but I will admit it takes a lot of discipline to make yourself do all you need to. It's too easy to make excuses and put things off. 

For what it's worth, I'm here if you'd like to talk or need a friend. Take care and have a great Holiday season.

Sincerely,

Jamie

jamlinrich@yahoo.com