16 replies to this topic

#1 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,613 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:19 PM

We're traveling to Italy again, and hope you can join us! We had a wonderful time touring Italy in 2012, forging strong friendships and exploring ancient ruins and historical treasures, museums and cathedrals, canals, islands, and catacombs together.

We'll visit Rome, Florence, Venice, Burano, Pisa, Verona, and Pompeii. Some of the sites we'll see are St. Mark's Square, Doges' Palace, Michelangelo's David, the Uffizi Gallery, the Colosseum, the Pantheon, Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, the ruins of Pompeii, the colorful island of Burano, St. Peter's Square, and more.

Find out more at http://www.carolinah...ravelitaly.html

Warmly,

Dianna

#2 Patty Jones

Patty Jones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:36 PM

Woohoo!  I am so excited that you have this on the books now.  We'll definitely plan on coming along this time.  I must say I am a bit disappointed we don't have a ride of the Orient Express to Paris as a finale ;) :D Actually after I got home from Disney, I checked out the prices and decided that a ride on the Orient Express isn't going to happen ever for me.  It was between $2000 and $3000 for one night. :blink:

#3 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,613 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:23 PM

Woohoo!  I am so excited that you have this on the books now.  We'll definitely plan on coming along this time.  I must say I am a bit disappointed we don't have a ride of the Orient Express to Paris as a finale ;) :D Actually after I got home from Disney, I checked out the prices and decided that a ride on the Orient Express isn't going to happen ever for me.  It was between $2000 and $3000 for one night. :blink:

Why so much? At that price, it's not going to happen for me, either. Oh my...

#4 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,613 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:25 PM

Patty, I'm so glad you'll be joining us! Will the whole family go?

Dianna

#5 moptophead

moptophead

Geeky Bookworm :D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationSomewhere... over the rainbow!

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:12 AM

Yay! Make sure you bring me, Mama!

Rainbow!!!!

#6 jamlinrich

jamlinrich

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:11 AM

I am soooo excited for this trip.  We've never been on one before although I, personallly have been to Switzerland and Paris, it was before my son was born. He's almost 11 now. We tried to get in other trips but for one reason or another it didn't happen. This time I KNOW it will and I'm thrilled. I would love to meet some others with children around my son's age. He will turn 11 in March and 12 just two weeks after the trip.  It's be nice to know some people before we get there.  I thought there were pictures posted at one time of the last trip.  Are there still photos available to look at?   We are going to learn Italian over the next year.  I am getting us a Rosetta stone set, Italian 1-5 in Homeschool version that maybe we can share if someone is interested.

I think we might stay after the end of the scheduled trip to visit other places.  We have dear friends in Latvia and might venture that far.  It's not super close to Italy but closer than from here. 

The Orient Express sounds so amazing. Wow! I might have to check it out and see if there are any breaks or deals for groups or something. That's a once in a lifetime opportunity.  I can't wait and I'm bouncing with excitedment even though it's a year away. (Which is good to allow for saving money up). I look forward to connecting with some of you. Have a grea Holiday Season!!!

Jamie

jamlinrich@yahoo.com

• Dianna likes this

#7 jamlinrich

jamlinrich

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:14 AM

BTW, I'm not sure if there is more than one airport in Venice.  Does anyone know the airport code and/or name of the correct airport to fly into on March Fourth? Thanks so much!

#8 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,613 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:03 AM

Jamie, I'll try to set up some group meet & greets before the trip (hopefully we'll have enough in our area to attend). My daughter is the same age as your son, and Patty has a couple the same age as well. If you're friends with me on Facebook, I have my Italy Album uploaded there. (It was so much easier to upload my pictures there than here.)

I'm so glad you'll be joining us! :)

Warmly,
Dianna

#9 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,613 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:06 AM

The airport in Venice will probably be Marco Polo (VCE), but hold off on purchasing tickets until I confirm the trip. Also, I usually get my tickets first so the group can plan their flight times close to mine and we can decide on group transfer times. (And they can wait for the better deals... darn it...) ;)

Warmly,
Dianna

#10 Patty Jones

Patty Jones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:44 PM

Yes, Dianna, it will be all four of us for this trip!  Mark and I have always dreamed of going to Italy way before we ever had children.  Since we have time to plan, he is going to figure out a way to save up enough vacation to go or possibly even see if he can tack a business trip at the beginning or end with some of the fellows he works with in Italy.  Of course, the thought did cross my mind to leave the kids at home, but I figured that wouldn't be allowed since it is a homeschool trip. ;) :D

I have no idea why the Orient Express is so pricey.  I guess it is the whole luxury thing.  I started checking out the Eurorail last night and it looks much more reasonable.  We might try to do that and visit a few more sites after the group trip.  We would love to hang out in Italy longer and possibly swing through France on the way home if we can work it out.  It's great that we have time to work out lots of scenarios and dream a bunch! :)

Jamie, my two are close to your son's age.  I have a boy and girl, twins, that are 11 now.  They will be 2 months shy of 13 on the Italy trip.  It would be great to get to meet you before the trip.  We're here in Charleston now getting ready to go on the USS Yorktown tomorrow.  We'll be attending the Flight Camp in January.  We're planning on going to Washington next year and any more of the marine science type camps too.  So hopefully somewhere along the way we can meet you. 

We're planning on studying Italian as well.  I already have several sources since my husband and I started a class years ago.  I will be anxious to hear how you like the Rosetta stone.  I have heard great things about it, but never used it.  The price always scared me off.  :o

#11 jamlinrich

jamlinrich

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:33 PM

Thanks Dianna for the info. I am just a research guru and like to keep my eyes open.  I checked out the pictures and now it's crazy how excited I am even though it's over a year away.

Thanks, also, Patty for the info.  Charleston is about 2.5 hours from us but not impossible.  My husband and son did the Yorktown last year and had a blast.  I hope you brought warm sleeping bags though. They don't have much in the way of heating and cooling.  I was in the Navy and worked on subs in Charleston.  At least they were running and always too hot. I have to look at the other trips and see what's going on.  Once I get the rosetta stone, I'll let you know. Like I said, it's a homeschool package so it allows for more than one computer and multiple students per setup. I'm happy to share.  In the meantime, I don't know if you have heard of a site called Livemocha.com.  It's free for a lot and if you want to add courses, it's very, very inexpensive. You should check it out. I hope to meet you guys soon.

Take care!

#12 classicalmama

classicalmama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

Just wanting to find out more from anyone about this trip.  I would like to come with my whole family, including a daughter who is an art major in college - the trip falls on her spring break.  Also, my parents would like to come.  Is this allowed?  They are active for their age.  Anyone go on the last trip that can give me a good reference about the organization?

#13 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,613 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:09 PM

Welcome to our community, ClassicalMama! :)

Yes, your college-age daughter and parents are welcome. We usually have all ages on our trips.

Hopefully others will read your message and come in here or send you a private message with their opinions about my trips.

Warmly,

Dianna

#14 Carole Hill

Carole Hill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:36 AM

Classicalmama,

I'll be happy to answer any questions that you have! We went on the first trip to Italy and had such a wonderful trip! My mother went with my two kids and I. A good friend went with her mother as well as one college age child and one high school child. We ALL were in awe of all the things that we saw and experienced. I'll never forget my 8 yr. old son telling me how beautiful everything was. (My son is a serious country boy!)

• Dianna likes this

#15 Patty Jones

Patty Jones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:53 PM

This will be our first trip to Italy with Carolina Homeschooler, but we've done several other trips with them,  On all of the trips that we've been on, all of the people have been great people to be around; the events have been well organized; and it's been a fun and educational experience.  One of the things I like about the way that Dianna plans trips especially is that there is always plenty to do and lots of opportunities to take advantage of, but there is time for relaxing and doing your own thing as well.  I've always been leery of traveling with a group because I was afraid I wouldn't like the people or I would feel like everything second of my time is programmed by someone else.  I haven't had either of these problems with any of my trips with Carolina Homeschooler.  We're really looking forward to spending time with this group and enjoying all the wonderful experiences that await us in Italy.

• Dianna likes this

#16 Annika Abel

Annika Abel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:54 PM

My daughter (age 13) is going on the trip with my mother. I'll get them on the forum soon-- Eleanor doesn't find out she's going till her birthday in May. So excited-- and jealous, wish I could go! This will be Eleanor's first trip out of the country. My mother has been to Italy a couple times and lived in Europe for a few years when she was growing up. Eleanor and my husband went on the Space Camp trip a few years ago-- anyone from that trip going to Italy? 

• Dianna likes this

#17 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,613 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:12 PM

Annika, I don't think there are any Space Camp families on the trip. I bet she'll love her birthday present! How exciting!