25 replies to this topic

#21 Dana

Dana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

If she can do English as dual enrollment, what about English and maybe an elective for dual credit and do math on your own?

#22 MathMom

MathMom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

She's currently signed up for English 101 and College Skills.

In looking over some of the guidelines/recommendations here and on other sites, I'm wondering if the College Skills would count toward something like career or personal development?

I'm sure you know more about what they cover, but the course description says study skills, scheduling, course planning for career objectives, etc.

We (all three of us) want her to take it regardless.  But I'm hoping we can use it as an additional elective as well, and hopefully not have any credit shortfalls at the end of the year.

*Fingers crossed*

#23 Dana

Dana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:58 PM

Dianna probably will have some better information or ideas about what may work for high school credits. This is just some links to additional information and some ideas. Take what's useful and ignore the rest :)

I would definitely think College Skills could count as something for high school credit. Probably only 1/2 credit. It'll really depend on the instructor just how useful it is. I've heard of some versions that are excellent and others that are just an easy credit, so it'll likely be very hit or miss.

Looking at general elective courses at some local high schools, some ideas for additional credits could include Personal Finance, a Health course (I intend to have my son get certified with Red Cross for First Aid/CPR), a keyboarding class or computer applications class (I think this may be CPT 170 but I don't recall the numbering at tech).

There's also the SC Virtual School. Looks like some registration starts tomorrow... https://scvspconnect...ct.ed.sc.gov/  

They've got a Credit Recovery Algebra I course that could be possible.

I think she'd be fine taking courses at the technical college in the summer and fall as a high school graduate and then transferring. So if her grades/credits/test scores aren't where they need to be for a 4-year school right away, she could get an AA/AS and continue on.

Information about college preparation from CHE (Commission of Higher Education - SC). Has link to state dual enrollment policy, so this may explain more about how the college's hands are tied. (We don't want to be on the wrong side of CHE!) It also has a link to SC entry requirements at 4-year public schools. The math really may be an issue here. That's where study this year then retaking placement and getting a credit from TTC may be best for math.

https://www.sctrac.org/Student/StatewideTransferArticulationinSC/tabid/732/Default.aspx

Transfer agreements so you can check what classes will transfer in to SC schools.

HTH some. Good luck!!

#24 MathMom

MathMom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:17 AM

After typing a long response I decided was an unproductive rant, I'm starting over and trying to summarize the relevant bits.

I don't fault the tech school at all.  Rules/guidelines/whatever you want to call them are there for a reason.  I know they're doing what they are governed to do.  I actually respect that in a time when anyone seems to be able to get anything if they'll only whine loud enough and long enough.

We've looked into virtual high school but aren't sure it will be a good fit.

Condensing a year long class into a semester, knowing she's not ready, I'm afraid won't produce learning growth.

She also didn't fail it according to her transcript; she did quite well in fact; so I'm not sure how she'd get credit for it or if she'd even be able to take it.

An immediate transfer to a four year school or program is not her plan, so if we can just get her to where she actually has a firm foundation in this last high school class, then she can re-test and take whatever math she needs to in college and build from there.

As always, any information is helpful!  Sometimes it brings up more questions than answers, but hopfully we're getting enough questions answered along the way too to get our roadmap planned out.

• Dana likes this

#25 Dana

Dana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

An immediate transfer to a four year school or program is not her plan, so if we can just get her to where she actually has a firm foundation in this last high school class, then she can re-test and take whatever math she needs to in college and build from there.

That sounds very possible to accomplish!

I wonder if some sort of consumer math might work for the transcript (include percentages - good review from DVS anyway; budgeting; credit cards; loans; etc)...

#26 MathMom

MathMom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:44 AM

Her transcript says "Business Math" is in progress.  And it is what we've worked from here and there.  But we both HATE the text series she's been working from.

Some of the concepts are presented at an age/maturity appropriate level.  Others are well below, IMO.  And many are just unbelievable (learn how to calculate volume because it's going to be important to know how much ice cream will fit into a cone???  Maybe I'm missing something but I don't think there are many ice cream shop owners who calculate their ice cream down to the cubic units per cone.)

Overall I think the concepts are below what should be expected from a senior level class and/or of someone who has (supposedly) completed Algebra I and II and Geometry and done well in all.

Obviously, we know she needs remediation, and as you say, some sort of business or consumer math might be the way to go.  But either way I feel like we've got to find something new because of how much we both dislike the current work series and because I don't really see it preparing her for the next building blocks of college level work.

Which is why I went to thinking maybe we should just do as close to what she'd be doing as a college student.

I'm still open to suggestions though!  Either in how to teach it, what to teach, or just what to call it once we've taught it!  :-)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: high school, legal