9 replies to this topic

#1 livejoyful

livejoyful

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

Hi there!

My name is Jessica and my daughter Layla, will be five when the 2014-2015 school year begins here in Greenville SC, this fall.

After some deliberation with my husband, we have decided to try homeschooling her this year.  I have some questions that I would greatly appreciate some advice on!

Registration for the Greenville County School District for Kindergarten and First grade is going on right now, the last day being tomorrow January 16th 2014.  Do I need to notify the school district and let them know that I plan to homeschool through a third option homeschool association?  And if so, how soon do I need to notify them?  Before registration ends tomorrow or any time between now and the start of the school year?

How soon do I need to register with the third option homeschool association?  Now, during regular school district registartion or just before the typical school year begins so I can be sure to complete our 180 days of schooling?  We would like to register through Carolina Homeschooler if possible within the next few months.

Thank you for your time!  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,609 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

Welcome to our community, Jessica!

You don't need to notify your district that you're homeschooling, so no worries there. If anyone asks about your school status after the year begins, you would show them your association membership letter, and that's it.

If you want to register with Carolina Homeschooler, you don't have to register until school officially starts in your area. If you wait until after school starts, you may run into truancy issues.

That said, we're offering discounts for early registration (January through April). Fall is usually very busy for me because I have a lot of trips/events scheduled then, so if families can register toward the beginning of the year, it helps me balance my workload. So families will save $20 if they register in January, $15 in February, $10 in March, and $5 in April. The membership year doesn't begin until June 1, 2014, though, and you won't receive your membership letter, cards, or discounts before then.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Warmly,

Dianna

#3 livejoyful

livejoyful

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

Oh Wonderful! That's fantastic!  Thank you so much for your quick response!  And thank you for letting me know about the discounts for early registration that will be a big help! 

I do have a question about curriculum and record keeping, that I would just like your, or any one from the communities opinion on.  Do you think it is a good idea to start a curriculum in kindergarten or just use the free materials offered online, through books etc.  Or do you think that is something that should be used later down the road?  I would just like to stay focused and have a semi-clear plan on what to teach her so she stays on track for what she needs to be learning.  I checked out the FAQ section of the Carolina Homeschooler website and linked over to the Worldbook's Typical Course of Study, and it gave me a lot of great information, I just wanted to know if that was all I really needed to help guide me in what I should teach each year or if I should invest in a curriculum.  Being a young family our finances are tight and we would like to remain in line with our budget if possible.

Also about record keeping, do you think it is a better idea to keep track on paper through plan books, and progress reports or to use a free online resource?  Just beginning, I would like to take the simplest approach.  And also, do we need to send any of this information (progress reports, etc) to the state or to Carolina Homeschooler at a certain time each month, semester, year or is it just for our records and for when/if you ever request it from us?

Thank you so much for your advice!

#4 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,609 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

Everyone's method is different, and often evolves from the beginning of the year to the end. I tend to choose more real-life resources, books, magazines, museums, field trips, group trips, etc. for my family. I've found that these types of resources make learning less "separate" (it's a part of life, and is a lifelong journey), more valid, and my children take more ownership of their own learning. If it's meaningful to them, they'll retain information a lot longer, and be able to apply it to different situations more easily.

That said, many families find that having a structured curriculum and/or textbooks works better for them. It gives them a clear path and keeps them more focused.

I'd recommend starting out whichever way you feel would work best for you and your daughter, and then make adjustments along the way. By the end of the year, you'll have a better sense of what method fits your family best. Go into the year seeing it as a learning experiment for everyone. :)

For record-keeping, I use a weekly schedule and just use an excel file to keep track of topics, activities, and attendance. Other families like the online homeschool tracking tools. Experiment with that, too, to see what works best.

You don't have to mail your records to me or the state at any time during the year. If I get an audit request (rare), then you'll need to mail them to me. But try not to worry about that.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Warmly,

Dianna

#5 livejoyful

livejoyful

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

Thank you so much Dianna!

That helps a lot!  I am sure I will have a great many more questions in the near future and I will be sure to bring them here to the forums!  I am super excited to be apart of this community and see what the next year brings us!

I can't wait to connect with you and everyone here more and more!

Hope you have a great day!

#6 Dana

Dana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:09 PM

My son attended a church preschool and kindergarten since half-day seemed much better for him.

During kindergarten, we started looking at homeschool. We never said anything to the school district (until we needed speech services and had to register him for that).

Typically, people overdo at first (I know I sure did!).

We've never used a complete curriculum. Everything is piecemeal depending on what best fits how he learns.

Public libraries have a lot of excellent resources.

SC homeschoolers also have free access to Discovery Streaming through ETV. http://www.scetv.org...n/streamlineSC/

There's a homeschool convention in Greenville this March: https://www.greathom.../greenville-sc/

I've gotten some useful information attending it. The exhibit hall is also great for looking at some materials hands on.

Rainbow Resource is a great place to buy materials.

I love Miquon for early math with unmarked Cuisinaire rods.

http://www.rainbowre...21808b152a8d897

The annotations are essential with the book and reading the First Grade diary and Notes to Teacher help the program make more sense.

I keep paper records of what we do and I've made changes to it over the years (my son is in 6th grade this year).

I find that I feel like I do a better job when I read a LOT of material and do a LOT of research in advance, because that is how I'm most comfortable. Remember that what works well for one person and family may not work for another. There isn't one right or best way. Teach the child YOU have.

We're still doing read-alouds and that's been one of my favorite parts of our homeschool.

Welcome & good luck!

• Dianna likes this

#7 livejoyful

livejoyful

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:02 PM

Thank you Dana for your reply!

I will definitely check those resources out.  I agree about doing the research.  I have been voraciously devouring as much homeschool info as my time allows.  I love hearing other's opinions and ways that work for them!  Every child and family IS different and certain things that one family may do will probably not look like what me and my family will create but I am looking forward to the melting pot of ideas, activities and moments that will make up our first year of homeschool!

Thank you again for your time!

• Dana likes this

#8 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,609 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:50 PM

Jessica, I have a guide that discusses different methods, resources, etc. Many homeschooling families answered a survey and I include a lot of their advice, plus descriptions of typical days (of structured homeschoolers all the way to unschoolers). It's available in print, ebook, and audiobook. It's also available via free loan for Amazon Prime members. Here's the link in case you're interested: http://amzn.to/Mj41rh

Warmly,

Dianna

#9 livejoyful

livejoyful

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

Dianna,

Thank you very much for the information about your guide!  My husband and I have Amazon Prime so I'll be checking it out through free loan!  I am super exicted to read it!  Thanks again for taking the time to be such a wonderful support for this community! I truly feel welcome!

• Dianna likes this

#10 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,609 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

You're welcome! Let me know if you have any other questions as you go along.

Warmly,

Dianna

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: homeschool, k-5, registration