18 replies to this topic

#1 Mommaduck

Mommaduck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationColleton County, SC

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:31 PM

I'm curious who here is in Colleton County and would anyone be interested in an inclusive group this next school year?

• Rickeyd53 likes this

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,655 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

Welcome to our community, Mommaduck!

I'll ask members to come in and share info about Collecton County groups. I don't see any listed there on my support group pages.

Warmly,
Dianna

• Mommaduck likes this

#3 heathercb

heathercb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationBerkeley County

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

What part of Colleton?   We are in Berkeley County (Hwy 176 area) we might be interested.

• Mommaduck and Rickeyd53 like this

#4 Palmettosweetheart

Palmettosweetheart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

We just moved to Colleton county and looking for homeschoolers. I posted on all of the Walterboro & Colleton Swap pages and got only one response.
  • Mommaduck and Rickeyd53 like this

#5 Mommaduck

Mommaduck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:20 PM

I'm near Cottageville (halfway between Summerville and Walterboro). I can't do much at the moment (van is in the shop and DH is transferring divisions within his company), but had heard that there was possibly one other person in CC that wanted an inclusive group. We just moved this past spring and I just haven't had any luck finding homeschoolers out this way...and I'd like to find people where differences in faith aren't an issue.

• Rickeyd53 likes this

#6 Mommaduck

Mommaduck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:21 PM

What part of Colleton?   We are in Berkeley County (Hwy 176 area) we might be interested.

What is near there? I have a sister that lives in Moncks Corner, but I'm still getting familiar with the area (siblings were raised here; I was not).

#7 Palmettosweetheart

Palmettosweetheart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:42 PM

I'm south of Walterboro down 303. I am about 15-20 min from you, Mamaduck.

#8 Mommaduck

Mommaduck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

Oh, so nice to find another homeschooling parent near me :) Especially one that would be interested.

Edited by Mommaduck, 19 January 2014 - 08:51 PM.

• Palmettosweetheart likes this

#9 MathMom

MathMom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

This may be off-topic, but as an alternative/addition to inclusive groups (if I understand what they are correctly) is anyone using distance resources to help students connect with and learn from each other?

Skype, discussion boards, DropBox, etc?

I know that retelling or trying to explain what you've learned can be a great way to help solidify knowledge and retention and good discussion and debate can also come from a lot of subjects.

Just wondered if anyone else used something similar and might be interested in sharing.

#10 Mommaduck

Mommaduck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:22 PM

Only my highschooler who is doing several Coursera classes. I don't know of any other interactive classes that don't cost (other than one language course that they aren't in, but I used to be).

Part of why I'm interested in a local inclusive group is:

1) we just moved to the area last spring  

2) the only connections I have here are our small neighbourhood and my relatives (there are many, but none of the ones here homeschool and we're spread out)  

3) inclusive, because many of the groups that do exist here, we cannot be part of (we aren't Protestant) and there are no local Catholic homeschooling groups that I know of (Catholics are usually open to including Orthodox in certain things, including homeschool groups)

4) I like my children being around a diversity of people. We've lived many places. My children are familiar with various cultures. They have a small foundation in several languages due to this. They are open to people regardless of ethnicity, religion, etc...and I like that.

Inclusive meaning: open to people of any faith or lack thereof, any ethnicity, any lifestyle, etc...basically, no one sits in judgment of another over personal life differences, but rather share in the one thing we all have in common, homeschooling.

Edited by Mommaduck, 23 January 2014 - 04:26 PM.

• Palmettosweetheart likes this

#11 Palmettosweetheart

Palmettosweetheart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:13 AM

Squee!! You're Catholic!!!! :) what parish? We are going to St Anthony's. there is a very large Catholic homeschool group in Charleston/Mt Pleasant. They are on Yahoo Groups. Can you friend request me on FB? www.facebook.com/palmettosweetheart
  • Mommaduck likes this

#12 Mommaduck

Mommaduck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:30 PM

Squee!! You're Catholic!!!! :) what parish? We are going to St Anthony's. there is a very large Catholic homeschool group in Charleston/Mt Pleasant. They are on Yahoo Groups. Can you friend request me on FB? www.facebook.com/palmettosweetheart

Actually, I'm Eastern Orthodox :) We've found acceptance with a Catholic homeschooling group in PA, because of the commonalities. I sent you a friend request (Jc Mommaduck). We attend Sts. Cyril and Methodius in Summerville, but I'm looking at getting the kids involved with youth activities over at Holy Trinity in Charleston (once the van is fixed...please pray they figure out what is wrong with it and can repair it).

Edited by Mommaduck, 24 January 2014 - 12:39 PM.

#13 Mommaduck

Mommaduck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:33 AM

Bumping.

I know that there are many people that meet with groups in Charleston, Summerville, and even Columbia. Not everyone is able to get out to those regularly and it would be nice to be able to start a bit of a community here in the county even if only for getting to know each other.

• Rickeyd53 likes this

#14 chinclub

chinclub

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationWalterboro, SC

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:23 PM

We are in Colleton.  We live just outside of Smoaks (between Smoaks and Ruffin).  I have two high school age children.

• Palmettosweetheart and Rickeyd53 like this

#15 Mommaduck

Mommaduck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:43 PM

Awesome! I have two highschool age and one that will be next year.

Sorry for taking so long to respond. I've been without home internet and had lost my password, so my phone wasn't being much help.

Edited by Mommaduck, 01 May 2014 - 01:43 PM.

#16 Rickeyd53

Rickeyd53

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:00 PM

I am new with home schooling and will have a 10th grader and an 8th grader in the 2014 - 2015 school year and I am in the Colleton County area, Round O near Walterboro.

#17 Tina Zorn

Tina Zorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:25 AM

We are in Walterboro. I have a 16 year old and a 9 yr old. There definitely needs to be a local group in the area.

#18 Andrea Griffin Pratt

Andrea Griffin Pratt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:48 AM

There is a Facebook group... https://www.facebook...2827/?ref=br_tf

#19 Rickeyd53

Rickeyd53

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:04 PM

Hi guys, I read these forums ever so often and have found some other posts from Colleton County families.  I have two grandsons, one 16 and one 15 that my wife and I are homeschooling.  We live in Round O which is 14 miles from Walterboro and would be interested in meeting families inthe area that are homeschooling their children.  If interested, please feel free to contact me, Rick, or my wife Cindy.  Thanks and if anyone would like to chat about getting together please let us know.