5 replies to this topic

#1 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,546 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:14 AM

We're heading to Black Mountain, NC, to hike trails, climb towers, test our skills in archery, do crafts, listen to Cherokee storytellers around a campfire, learn about Appalachian wildlife, square dance to the music of a live bluegrass band, and more!

This is an all-inclusive 4-day/3-night camp (similar to our Fort Caswell camp), with meals and activities provided starting with dinner on Thursday evening through breakfast on Sunday morning. Coffee (Starbucks) will be provided at various times throughout our stay, but you'll pay for it separately.

All ages are welcome (including grandparents). Homeschoolers from other states (and Canada) are also welcome to join us.

Come join us!

#2 vernonh76

vernonh76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:49 PM

Hi, we have never been on any of the carolina homeschooler's trips before, but we are interested in this one.  I do have a few questions that I hope you can answer.  Our youngest will be a little over 1 year old at the time of the trip, and I was just curious how many of the activities would be difficult to do with a 1 year old in tow.  Also, you say the rooms have 2 queen beds, but when you click the link to the YMCA conference center they say they only have 2 double beds per room, no big deal, just trying to be sure of what the accommodations actually are.  The trip sounds like fun.  Thanks for any info you can share with me.  

#3 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,546 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:08 AM

Welcome to our community! :)

Regarding the beds - in the main building where we'll be staying, they've recently replaced all the doubles with queens.

Many of the activities will be fine for toddlers to tag-along, except for the tower/ropes stuff, archery, and the mountain hike (if you don't use a sling or carrier). If you want to bring grandparents along, then they can watch the little ones while you do the more active stuff, or you can just opt-out of them.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I hope you can join us!

Warmly,
Dianna

#4 scubaslayer

scubaslayer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:55 AM

I am curious about this trip and was wondering if there is a basic schedule of events?  Also is this a religious organization/camp?  It is a lot of money for us without more details but sounds like something we would enjoy.

Thank You,

Jennifer

#5 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,546 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

Hi Jennifer,

The organization who is doing the camp for us has a religious background, but our camp is not religiously-based (I have families from different backgrounds and all parts of the country who attend my events, so I'm not able to focus on just one group).

For more information about what we'll be doing, and the activities, please visit http://www.carolinah...travelbrmc.html

Warmly,

Dianna

#6 scubaslayer

scubaslayer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:49 AM

Thank you.  I was wanting to make sure it was just using the facilities and not basically a church camp with time allocated for chapel and such.  Now the goal is to see if we can fit it into the schedule and budget.

Jennifer