2 replies to this topic

#1 Mommaduck

Mommaduck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationColleton County, SC

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:34 PM

Okay, I've been away for 33yrs...I've come home. In some places I've lived museums were free and in others they cost. The same goes for zoos, science centers, etc (really got spoiled in St. Louis and D.C. on the freebies). I recently found out that the state parks here cost (which is REALLY new to me, as they never cost in any other state I've lived in). We are a large family, one income, cost of gas and lunch (or picnic lunch, as we LOVE picnics) being the two things that come along with going anywhere.

So, lay it on me...what are the FREE things a family (children ranging from 2 to 17) can do in SC, particularly in the Lowcountry.

List of things we've done so far:

1) My sister and I took the baby to the Sweetgrass Festival in Mt. Pleasant.

2) Taking the kids to the pier and Waterfront Memorial Park in Mt. Pleasant.

3) Walking through the historic business section and Veteran's Memorial in Walterboro with the kids.

4) Taking the kids to the Pineapple Fountain in Charleston.

Edited by Mommaduck, 24 January 2014 - 01:35 PM.

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,585 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:49 PM

This isn't in the lowcountry, but if you show your association membership card at the SC State Museum, you can get in free. I think they also have one free day a month. (Special exhibits aren't free, though... like the Mummies exhibit, or whatever.)

When the weather gets warmer, I hope to start my park days again, but there's the park entry fee to contend with. (Their budget has been cut so drastically they've had to start charging - check into a park passport (http://www.southcaro...rt/default.aspx).

At the Columbia Classical Ballet, they'll let you attend as their guest for educational performances (the last one is Wizard of Oz, the end of February) if you can't afford the $5 per person fee.

Hmmm... I know there are more. I'll ask around and see if others can share their finds! :)

Warmly,
Dianna

• Mommaduck likes this

#3 jdjcpa

jdjcpa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:41 PM

We've done a group ranger-led tour at Table Rock for $1ea - I bet they offer that at other state parks too. Libraries offer many programs free of charge - anything from Bouncing Babies to American Girl clubs to Summer Reading special events and teen programs. Our local Children's Theater offers free programs like TimbreTales and Lollipops in conjunction with the Greenville Orchestra. Lots of local field trips are free - like the Greenville Humane Society, Greenville News, Fox News Station, a couple of radio stations, Duke World of Energy, and Greenville Downtown Airport (the PR director there is awesome!).

Roper Mountain Science Center in Greenville has many free programs for members - like 2nd Saturdays and Friday Starry Nights - and teachers' families (incl homeschoolers) qualify for the $35/yr rate. Alternatively, if you join Colburn Earth Science Museum in Asheville), the reciprocity program for other venues (including Drayton Hall and Charleston Museum) is awesome. I think it cost us $100/yr.

"Family memberships include participation with the Association of Science-Technology Centers Passport Program through which Colburn Family members receive free admission to more than 280 science and technology centers worldwide.

ASTC List 2013: Click Here!

Patron members will also enjoy free admission to more than 50 museums participating in the Southeast Reciprocal Museum Program.

SEMC List February 2013: Click Here!"

HTH!