9 replies to this topic

#1 Francheska Ward

Francheska Ward

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:25 PM

Hi all,

My family is relocating to Florence in June. We don't know anyone in the area. As you may know homeschool can get lonely without a group of fellow homeschoolers to encourage, motivate, and share with. I see thats the type of community you have here, which is wonderful. I was just hoping I could find some families in the Florence area I could dialogue with about their experiences home educating in the area and state along with pointing me to any area groups. We have a 4 yo, 3 yo, and 8 mo. If anyone feels led to help, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Francheska

Edited by Francheska Ward, 29 January 2014 - 04:27 PM.

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

Welcome to our community, Francheska! :)

I've asked Florence-area homeschoolers to come in here and introduce themselves, so hopefully you'll get some feedback soon.

Warmly,

Dianna

• Francheska Ward likes this

#3 Francheska Ward

Francheska Ward

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:54 PM

Thank you, Dianna :)

#4 Meredith McKenzie

Meredith McKenzie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:02 PM

We have 3 homeschool groups in the Florence area: PDCHEA, REACH, and Palmetto Christian Homeschoolers. I have a 7yr and 3yr old. I have been members with PDCHEA and am currently attending Palmetto Christian Homeschoolers. Reach has a maximum of 75\80 families and can be difficult to get into and You will need to put your name on a list. PDCHEA is not as large but meets once a week for classes and clubs every two weeks with planned outings. The group that is the smallest is PCH and meets in lower Florence county and meets every two weeks and has lots of outings, kindergarten graduation, and the group is almost like a family. I enjoy this group. We have currently approx 20 kids attending.approx 5 kids per group/class. You can contact me through the forum and I can introduce you to the group when we meet.Writing on phone hope everything makes sense. Hard to type everything.
  • Dianna and Francheska Ward like this

#5 Francheska Ward

Francheska Ward

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

Hi Meredith. Thanks for replying. I'd love to chat some more. I am looking into each organization, however, information on the website is limited. I tried reaching out to PDCHEA a few months ago twice and they never responded. I'd like to know more about them, ss their group peaked my interest. We don't move until the end of June, but in preparation for that I hoped I could talk to someone in the group. In trying to find a new home, a new neighborhood, a new church, a new group of friends, plus just starting to homeschool....it's all kind of stressful to me. If I could network and find a homeschool group or coop before we go, I can at least rest assured socialization for my very social 4 yo daughter won't be too much of a problem. I could also use the support of fellow home educating moms. :)

#6 Francheska Ward

Francheska Ward

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:24 PM

Also, I tried googling PCH and couldn't find a website. I am interested in the smaller group setting and would like more info. Could you lead me to a website or person to speak to?

Edited by Francheska Ward, 01 February 2014 - 02:24 PM.

#7 spearsbeckham

spearsbeckham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:43 PM

I also am looking for a group to find out more about in Florence, SC, prior to making the decision to homeschool.  I will try to find these three groups mentioned on facebook or websites. They are not listed in the Carolina Homeschooler Website. 

#8 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:56 PM

Since listings usually contain the personal information (phone or address) of a contact person, I only list them if they ask to be listed. That's why some aren't listed.

Warmly,

Dianna

#9 Crystal Coker

Crystal Coker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:40 AM

How can I find those groups? Preferably PDCHEA or REACH. I have a year and half before I can enroll my oldest daughter, but I'm getting all the information I can so I'm not blind when its time to get started with enrollment.

#10 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:18 AM

Hi Crystal, they may be listed at the SCHEA website here http://schea2.azurewebsites.net/  or do a google search.

Warmly,

Dianna