Photo

My Son Is NOT stupid - Fed up mom needs help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kristina Ann Bay

Kristina Ann Bay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:58 PM

My son is 7 years old. He's vivacious, loving, and has so much nervous energy getting him to look at you for more then 2 seconds before he's bounding off to do something else is darn near impossible. He's not stupid. He's a curious, hands on learner who likes bird watching and science, who can do complex math in his head before I can reach for my calculator. He's perfect...and he is failing 1st grade.

Last year they told me they wanted to keep him back in Kindergarten because he didn't know the work. He knew it. He just point blank wouldn't do it for the teacher. I though, heck, its just because he's a little rambunctious and she's a new teacher (first year teaching) and they just don't mesh. He went on to 1st grade after I requested it and he has a fantastic teacher who has been teaching for over 15 years, who up until about 15 minutes ago I was reasonably satisfied with. Gabe is behind because its hell getting him to get things done unless you sit beside him and point to each question. On top of that, he's "lost" his spelling workbook. He hates writing and I can promise you he didn't lose it on accident. I called to ask her if she was sure he'd gone home with it and to ask if we could find a way for him to skip part or all of recess until he catches up on his work load. The response I got was short and snarky - she practically laughed at my suggestion he miss recess, saying that even if she did keep him in he probably wouldn't get the work done. She made it seem like it would be a complete waste of resources to do anything more than let him plod along fidgeting and bored while the course work piles up around him. I'm so angry I could spit or cry.

The end of this month we are moving into a new home, in a new school district....and I don't want to give him back to the public school system. At the very least not for the remainder of this year. I want to know, if any of you experienced homeschooling parents know, is it to late to pull him out and home school him? If not forever, at least for the remainder of this school year and then the rest of the summer. Could he then test to see if he needed to go back to 1st or if he could go into 2nd grade? I don't know what to do anymore. I feel completely set adrift. My son deserves more than to be a number in a class and a laugh. My son is NOT stupid. He just learns differently.

Edited by Kristina Ann Bay, 04 February 2014 - 04:01 PM.

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,731 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

Welcome to our community, Kristina! I'm sorry you're having problems with your son's teacher. :(

I've received many applications last month (and several the first several days of this month) from parents who're pulling their children out of school, so you're not alone.

However, if you decide to put him back in public school after you move or next year, it will be up to you and the school to determine placement. Homeschooling isn't a quick fix as much as it's a journey. If your heart tells you that you'll probably try out the new school when you move, it may be best to try to work things out with his teacher. If you think that homeschooling may be something you'll want to do regardless of moving to a new school, then there's no reason to wait - apply with an association and pull him out once you're legally homeschooling.

I hope this helps a little. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Warmly,

Dianna

• Dana likes this

#3 Kristina Ann Bay

Kristina Ann Bay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:35 PM

I have wanted to home school him since I realized I was pregnant with him but my husband is very hesitant. I do have a few questions, the first being fees for a membership with Carolina Homeschooler. I see its says $75 but how often? Monthly? Quarterly? Yearly? Right now I am researching, heavily, curriculums and if I can get the rest of the family on board he won't be going back to public school come September and in a few years his sister will be joining him in the class room here at home instead of getting on a bus.

#4 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,731 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:24 PM

Hi Kristina,

For help in dealing with hesitant dads, go to http://www.carolinah....com/afaq6.html and scroll down to the second question. Tuition for the 2013-2014 school year (now through May 21, 2014) is $75 for one student. That covers you for the rest of the year.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Warmly,

Dianna

#5 Laura Launius

Laura Launius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:17 PM

Hi Kristina;

Welcome!  I can't speak to pulling out of school but I can tell you that I had one wiggly, extremely gifted, but w/ ADD-inattentive, dyslexic and dysgraphic little guy go through the public school system.  But, we are talking about a different time - before Common Core -- and when parents were still invited into the public school classroom to help out.  The problem for my ds was that he was bored - he hated writing - knew the material presented through 4th grade as a K5er.  The schools solution was to bump him up a year, have me send in extra material, have him help tutor the other kids, send him on errands, never take away PE or recess (then they still had 2 recesses) and let him do a lot of his work orally.  Middle School and High School were different birds and we had to figure out ways for him to get the material to them.  All that to say, if public school is what you want, it can be done, but it will take a lot of work on your part.  For what it's worth the ds I'm referring to graduated high school as an honor student and went on to graduate USC-Columbia. 

Jump ahead and I made the decision to home-school the other three.  In that mix I have two more of the same along w/ one of them having major health problems. When my boys are under the age of 9 I do the majority of their school work sitting beside them helping them to stay focused.  We do short lessons, we don't do tons of review or busy work - we cover the subjects making sure that they know the material but no boring them w/ a drill and kill attitude.  They do handwriting but again we follow a quick and simple method so it's no more than maybe 5 mins and they write some of their math but other parts they simply tell me the answer.  Soc Studies/History we cover history beginning w/ Ancient bec for my boys there is nothing is great as learning about the Egyptians and mummies :)  I throw Soc Studies in by discussing monthly holidays or community helpers, people of noteworthiness , etc.  but I don't spend a ton of time on it.  For science we read and explore nature and do experiments -- bec my boys tend to be hands-on and benefit from touching, seeing and exploring.  Spelling we use magnets and I don't stress about spelling if a child doesn't have the skills until later. 

Your ds is still young - he's curious and wants to be engaged in learning not sitting in a classroom -- that's understandable.  As for your dh's concern -- look at his reasoning and then see what info you can help him to see a counter argument in favor of hsing v the traditional classroom.  It took some doing for me to convince dh, but he's seen the fruits of my labor w/ our kids.  Will it always be easy?  NO!  Do the blessings outweigh the struggles -- I can honestly say YES! 

• Dianna, Dana and ShadanJem like this

#6 Dana

Dana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:43 PM

Welcome, Kristina!

There's a homeschool convention in Greenville March 20-22, 2014.

We homeschool secularly, but I've still found some good speakers and good resources at the convention.

Rainbow Resource has a booth where you can look at a lot of materials. It can be helpful to see things hands on. Their catalog is cool but can be pretty overwhelming too!

I've also found some great research material and ideas about what programs may work well at the Well Trained Mind discussion boards.

There are a number of posters who have links to their blogs in their signatures. It can be good to look around and get some ideas of what homeschool looks like for different people.

Some days are wonderful. Some days are dreadful.

We've homeschooled since 1st grade and overall it's been well worth it.

Good luck making the decision that's right for your family.

• Dianna likes this