• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 leshope

leshope

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:09 PM

My 9th grade son will be completing Spanish II this year. I plan to have him learn Latin beginning next year. I'm looking for recommendations on curriculum. What have you used? Would you use it again? How much was it? What items are necessary to have a successful year?

#2 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,639 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

Welcome to our community! :)

I've used the Henle Latin series. It's mastery-based and great for self-learners. If you're a member, or plan to be for 2014-2015, I have a self-paced class in my members area that serves as an introduction to Latin and leads into the Henle texts after some basic grammar instruction.

Here's more info about Henle Latin: http://www.memoriapr...n/henle-latin-i

Warmly,

Dianna

#3 leshope

leshope

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

Thanks so much! I will research this series. We are not members, and I don't know for sure if we are going to go that route; we need to do something different next year than we have been doing though. Abeka curriculum for our son is not working like it did for our daughter. I'm thankful that there are other options, but it can be overwhelming for me at times too. :) Thanks again! 

• Dianna likes this

#4 Mommaduck

Mommaduck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationColleton County, SC

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:56 AM

I've used Latin for Children. I don't have a background in Latin, so this was very helpful with CDs and DVDs.

• Dianna and Dana like this

#5 Dana

Dana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:36 PM

The same people who do Latin for Children have an older series: Latin Alive.

Classical Academic Press uses the classic pronunciation and does explicit teaching. I've been happy with Latin for Children and now working in Latin Alive A.

#6 marianbradley

marianbradley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:56 PM

We use Latina Christiana and they have DVD's that our 14 year old daughter likes, along with workbooks, etc.  We will be doing Year 2 in another few weeks.

#7 kncohen05

kncohen05

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:53 PM

My Daughter is so excited to be learning Latin with other people.

#8 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,639 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:59 PM

Karen, are you talking about my Latin class? If so, ask her to sign up in the Latin class forum (it's in the member's area). I'll start as soon as I have enough students.

Warmly,

Dianna

#9 kohlby

kohlby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:48 PM

I didn't want to use Christian Latin - only secular materials.  I found that limited my choices.  My eldest is using Galore Park Latin.  He's only been doing it for 2 weeks, but it's going quite well and easy to understand from the books so far.  There's a LOT crammed into those little books.

• Dana and Lorietta Purpura like this

#10 Lorietta Purpura

Lorietta Purpura

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationMount Pleasant SC

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:21 PM

Welcome to our community! :)

I've used the Henle Latin series. It's mastery-based and great for self-learners. If you're a member, or plan to be for 2014-2015, I have a self-paced class in my members area that serves as an introduction to Latin and leads into the Henle texts after some basic grammar instruction.

Here's more info about Henle Latin: http://www.memoriapr...n/henle-latin-i

Warmly,

Dianna

Is this an online based class? How many other classes do you conduct besides Latin? I am curious for now but I will keep this in mind :)

#11 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,639 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

Lorietta, the Latin class is online. It depends on what time of year and what else we have going on, but we do book groups, writing, history, etc.

Warmly,

Dianna

#12 Lorietta Purpura

Lorietta Purpura

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:16 AM

Lorietta, the Latin class is online. It depends on what time of year and what else we have going on, but we do book groups, writing, history, etc.

Warmly,

Dianna

Wow- that is great to know!  Are the classes conducted for various ages?  I will be sure to always check on this forum :)

#13 Lorietta Purpura

Lorietta Purpura

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:17 AM

I didn't want to use Christian Latin - only secular materials.  I found that limited my choices.  My eldest is using Galore Park Latin.  He's only been doing it for 2 weeks, but it's going quite well and easy to understand from the books so far.  There's a LOT crammed into those little books.

Is there a reason for many who have their kids learn latin? I am curious :)

#14 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,639 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:45 AM

Wow- that is great to know!  Are the classes conducted for various ages?  I will be sure to always check on this forum :)

The self-paced class is for any age. I hope to start a class soon (after my Disney trip) for middle school students and up.

• Lorietta Purpura likes this

#15 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,639 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:47 AM

Is there a reason for many who have their kids learn latin? I am curious :)

Foreign language is a requirement for most colleges, and Latin can be easier for some students because they can focus on reading it instead of speaking it (since it's not a spoken language anymore). It's a great way of teaching English grammar, too (studying any foreign language helps to clarify English grammar).

• Lorietta Purpura likes this

#16 kncohen05

kncohen05

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:17 PM

I'm very confused to how this works. Has the class already begun? I'm not sure what I'm suppose to be doing and if I should have already started. Can someone please help me, I have never done anything like this before so not sure what to do. Thank you Karen 

#17 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,639 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:01 PM

Hi Karen,

I'm planning to do an online Latin class for students in grades 6 and up starting in September or October (I have several trips coming up, and I'm not certain when will be the best time to start). I think your children are too young for it, but if they'd like to participate in my book groups or other activities, please visit the member's area and see what we have going on.

You received an email when you joined that explained how to get access to our member's area. You and your children (whoever plans to participate) each need your own forum account. If you don't remember the email, please email me at director@carolinahomeschooler.com and ask me to resend it to you.

Warmly,

Dianna

#18 Frank Hodges

Frank Hodges

Frank Hodges

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Carolina

Posted 15 October 2014 - 02:09 AM

Have Latin classes begun?

#19 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,639 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:26 AM

Have Latin classes begun?

Not yet - I should be able to start them soon. I'm caught up from several back-to-back trips, but have more field trips this weekend. I should be able to catch my breath after that!

Warmly,
Dianna