Photo

Rep. Brannon (H3478's main sponsor) speaks...

h3478 legislation brannon

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,160 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

Representative Brannon, the author of H.3478, has reportedly written a letter to Representative Phil Owens, the chairman of the House Education and Public Works Committee, and to Andy Patrick, chairman of the K-12 Subcommittee.

The letter states:

I write to ask that H. 3478 remain in subcommittee without hearing. I no longer support this bill in its current form and do not want the bill to become law. I’ve talked with Representatives Horne and Anthony and have informed them of my decision. They both concur.”

Many (including long-time homeschooling advocates) seem to understand this to mean that the bill is dead. However, that's not what his message states. It says that he's no longer supporting it "in its current form."

This vague wording leaves everything as dangerous as before. Note that he's not removing himself as a sponsor, nor is Horne, and it seems that Anthony isn't either. All they need to do to get it rolling again is change the wording, and ask for a hearing. And since so many think it's already dead, they won't be watching it as closely.

I don't know what the procedure is for repealing the bill completely, but that's the only action I will accept at this point. If Brannon and the others removed themselves as sponsors, then I would be more willing to accept that this bill won't go anywhere.

Just my thoughts...

Dianna

• GraceBee likes this

#2 GraceBee

GraceBee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUpstate

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

I was thinking the same thing.  I did call HSLDA today and they said an Elert should come out tomorrow and that no other action is necessary at the present time.  However, how can we monitor that they won't change the wording and get the ball rolling again?  Won't HSLDA be on the lookout for such a thing???

• Dianna likes this

#3 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,160 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

I was thinking the same thing.  I did call HSLDA today and they said an Elert should come out tomorrow and that no other action is necessary at the present time.  However, how can we monitor that they won't change the wording and get the ball rolling again?  Won't HSLDA be on the lookout for such a thing???

See, that's exactly what I'm talking about. HSLDA is removed from the states - they don't live in all the states they representing, and to be blunt, they don't care about what happens here as much as we do. We have to live with it, they don't. I think they're mistaken by saying no further action is needed. I definitely won't sit back and trust that easily.

Dianna

• Elginervin likes this

#4 Carolyn Petroski

Carolyn Petroski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

I agree with you, Dianna.  I've thought from the beginning that we need to monitor this bill, as it would be too easy for the sponsors to slide another form of it in when no one is paying attention, even at the very end of the session.

• Dianna likes this

#5 Dianna

Dianna

Chocoholic

• Administrators
  • 1,160 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

I think more are questioning it now, but SCHEA (and others) say we "defeated" it, so anyone who doesn't check alternative sources won't know to keep watch.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: h3478, legislation, brannon